Help me turn my 40B into a Riparium! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me turn my 40B into a Riparium!

I been looking at pics of Ripariums for the last 2 days I really like the idea of them and they look really awesome! So I gotta have one LoL

The problem is All I have is a tank.
I plan on building a stand for this tank.
Lights???? I really have no clue what would be best. I have read where ppl suggest Hyrdoponic T5s but where can you get some that are 36" also how many bulbs?
I guess this all depends on the type of setup? I don't think I could manage a high humidity setup so a low humidity would be better.

Anothing is plants for this project. I really have no clue about plants that can survive above water.

My other problem is doing this on a budget of $400 or less is this doable with having nothing but a tank?

Please help me work though this process?!? Once I can get everything worked out I will order the things I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I will help touch on a little, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come in and help...Hydrophyte come in.

I have an open top low humidity 55g. For lighting I have 4 CFL 6500k bubls hanging from the celing. Plants are growing good, slow but good.

You really need to check some threads by hydrophyte in the powerseller section. He is where I have gotten all my rip plants, planters, etc from. Good prices, very helpfull, great selection.

For plants, you can use a trelis raft for aluminium plant. You can use peace lily, spider lily, and many others in the planters. For a bad reference click the 55g turtle link in my sig. Look at the most recent pictures. This tank was done on the cheap, low tech, no co2, no ferts, weekly water changes and that's it.

Semper Fi
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LoL you are talking Greek to me. What is " trelis raft for aluminium plant"?

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know that sounds bad so Please excuse my ignorance!
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Here's a couple suggestions. Take a trip over to the Tank Journals section and do a search for threads started by Hydrophyte. You'll see plenty of examples of rips and what you can do with them. Also go over to the Swap in Shop sponsor section and do the same thing. You should see a thread for riparium starter kits. That will also give you a good idea about the hanging planters and trellis rafts. Welcome to ripariums...they're awesome!!!
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks I have since done that and I understand now. I am still kinda confused on the lighting and what to use? Plantsre also something I have to figure out / learn.

I will read some more when I get the chance and try and Learn what I can.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm currently using an Aquatic Life 24" T5HO on mine with 2 bulbs. It was one of the cheaper ones. It also has the ablility to expand so if I buy another one I can attach it to the first. I doubt I'll do that, but it's there if I want it. I'm pretty sure they make a 36", but you'd need to check. You should be able to use something similar for your tank. What ever you decide on I would make sure it has the option for hanging. That way you can mount it far enough above the tank to allow the plants to grow.

Here's a good deal as well...check out this thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...-complete.html
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you want to go cheap look at the 2nd picture on the first page
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-new-pics.html
I bought four 8" clamp on lights ($8ea at lowes), 4 cfl (the curly bulbs) 6500k "daylight" bulbs ($10 for 2 at walmart).
Pretty cheap and effective. They are hung about 10" from the top tim of the tank.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm not exactly an expert on ripariums, but welcome to the club if you do set one up!

I have one myself, and it totaled about $500 all together, but that's largely because I got an ADA 60P tank, T5HO light, and 20lbs of fluorite black sand for $100 locally. I didn't use the light or the black sand though, I went for LED's instead, which have worked amazingly well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

^^ Has an awesome riparium

Semper Fi
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
I'm not exactly an expert on ripariums, but welcome to the club if you do set one up!

I have one myself, and it totaled about $500 all together, but that's largely because I got an ADA 60P tank, T5HO light, and 20lbs of fluorite black sand for $100 locally. I didn't use the light or the black sand though, I went for LED's instead, which have worked amazingly well...
I can probably put about another $100 if need be put that be pushing it.
I have been trying to find the "right" lighting for my tank but having a heck of a time with this 36" size. I have found some T5HO but not sure if they are "good" fixtures. I haven't looked at LEDs figured those would be out of my price range. Any suggestion for the "perfect" light fixture? What brand is your LED?
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I can probably put about another $100 if need be put that be pushing it.
I have been trying to find the "right" lighting for my tank but having a heck of a time with this 36" size. I have found some T5HO but not sure if they are "good" fixtures. I haven't looked at LEDs figured those would be out of my price range. Any suggestion for the "perfect" light fixture? What brand is your LED?
Marineland double bright LED model...make sure you get the 36-48" inch size for a 36" inch long aquarium, they have a 24-36" model but its only 24 inches long so it wouldn't be enough to cover the whole tank realistically...

The double bright version works great for me though, in fact I have to trim the Pothos often or it gets really overgrown as shown in my tank journal lol...

~
~
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Elmo Thanks for telling me about your lights. They are actually cheaper then some of the lights I been looking at. I do have a couple of question about the way you got the lights suspended?
At the end where the Eye hooks are in the fixture. Did those just screw in where the legs are suppose to go? Do you remember what size those are by chance?

Going through you journal about that tank and it looks awesome. I didn't really see to many submerged plants. Is this just because of the type of setup you choose or do they not do well with turn setup. Mainly wondering how they would do with those lights?
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have to second the suggestion of compact fluorescent bulbs and work-light reflectors.

I was in Home Depot recently, and they had the big reflectors (10.5"?, 'brooder' I think?) for ~$14, and 2 packs of 6500K 27 watt bulbs for ~$6. Strip off the clamp assembly and hang them from a conduit/copper pipe fixture (they had little wire loop hangers) or build some sort of box to set them in if you don't like the looks.

I'm almost certain this is the route I'll go for lighting, using CF bulbs gives you a lot of versatility, you can change the wattage, etc. very easily. This post is pretty much what convinced me:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/837592-post21.html

I'd also suggest going low-tech. You won't need to spend the money on a CO2 set-up, lighting, or fertilizers. and go for a low-cost substrate, there are quite a few options here, depending on how much effort you are willing to put into it, what's common in your area, and what sort of plants and such you want to try.

As to plants, a lot of aquarium plants can grow emersed. easily available things like 'banana plants' and aponogetons can look pretty neat with floating leaves (banana), or flower spikes (aponogeton).

I think it's quite possible to do this on a $400 budget, especially if you are willing to do some building/tinkering
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
You could definitely get a nice planting going in there. A 40B is a perfect size and shapr for an open-top riparium. If you hang a light up above you will have lots of room and you can grow some of the nicest riparium plants into really attractive specimens.

There is a hydroponics T5 strip light in the 36" length, but I can't remember the model/brand. I have a couple of them downstairs so I can go look. They don't make the aluminum reflectors 36" long, so you have to cut down one of the standard 48" reflectors with a hack saw, but that's not hard to do. Two of those lights hung together with one of the hydroponics light brackets would light up this tank very well.

They look a little clunky but you can do very well with a couple of clamp lights and spiral CFs. You have to get the "cool daylight" CFs because they have a nice whitish light that renders the plant colors well. If you use the "warm daylight" everything will look orange. The warm daylight might also encourage algae growth.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode