Desert Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Desert Iwagumi

There are a lot of reptile lovers in my area, so I wanted to attempt my first desert style tank using the iwagumi stone layouts Ive seen so often here. I realize some of the stones are a bit large compositionally speaking, but I also need to provide usefull climbing and basking space for the future inhabitants.

Even if this is a desert tank, I still think it works as a nice iwagumi layout. Let me know what you think!

I'll have a timelapse video of the entire build up shortly also!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
This looks....awesome. Any ideas for stocking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Nice, what kind of reptile are you planning, Grimm?

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. Im actually goning to sell it this week. It would work best for a leopard gecko or similar sized reptile. Or a couple small juvies. Hopefully it ends up in someones living room as a small display where they can keep an eye on their little buggers.

Not many reptile keepers in my area build nice looking layouts, so hopefully me posting this on my local reptile forum aswell will increase the interest.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
awesome video, very cool seeing it progress
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another great looking tank!
What did you use to build it up? It looks like concrete.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its is a reptile excavator clay/sand substrate mixture. You can get them at pretty much any pet store. Im surprised tanks like this arent common concidering how easy it is to use.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very cool idea and fun to watch the process. Would never have thought about sweet caves with balloons. I've always wondered about how that excavator sand looks and works when out of the package. I do wonder if there would be any succulents or cacti that would do well in an environment like that. I'm sure there's a possibility there, but I haven't really kept any succulents other than jade trees. Maybe that clay might be too heavy and retain water too much for desert flora, but it would be sweet to see! Anyways looks awesome, real clean! hope to see more like this!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a great setup love the caves. One reason something like this isn't usually done for leopard geckos is the whole cleaning factor. They pick one spot and use it to defecate which could be one of the caves. This would be hard to clean out regularly. Permanent caves like that are also good hiding places for crickets or worms. Also if keeping a breeding pair the caves would be perfect egg laying locations which would be hard to access to retrieve eggs
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
Very cool idea and fun to watch the process. Would never have thought about sweet caves with balloons. I've always wondered about how that excavator sand looks and works when out of the package. I do wonder if there would be any succulents or cacti that would do well in an environment like that. I'm sure there's a possibility there, but I haven't really kept any succulents other than jade trees. Maybe that clay might be too heavy and retain water too much for desert flora, but it would be sweet to see! Anyways looks awesome, real clean! hope to see more like this!
Thanks. Cacti would only work if potted seperately, then covered with sand. I was actually going to try planting, but couldnt find any succulents that didnt throw off the proportions. The variety of plants this time of year is lacking up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
That's a great setup love the caves. One reason something like this isn't usually done for leopard geckos is the whole cleaning factor. They pick one spot and use it to defecate which could be one of the caves. This would be hard to clean out regularly. Permanent caves like that are also good hiding places for crickets or worms. Also if keeping a breeding pair the caves would be perfect egg laying locations which would be hard to access to retrieve eggs
I was under the impression that most animals do not defecate where they sleep. Even if they did, both of the caves can be accessed easily by hand or a spoon. I added sand inside the cave to allow it to be replaced if need be. On future tanks I'll be making the stones ontop loose, like a removable roof. Then access to the caves is ezpz.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

one reason i moved from reptiles to aquatics is the display factor. other then dart frogs and such, it's not easy(or it doesn't make much sense) to make a reptile display long term. most reptiles would either eat/trample any plants and the cleaning is a lot more costly. I plan to try some different plants in my Tegu's cage soon though. pothos and stuff like that.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
How do those caves not collapse?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode