List of riparium plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
List of riparium plants

Im also looking to turn a ten gallon into a riparium for my female betta, what I'm curious about is house plans that I can use for a low humidity open top riparium. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I will also be posting a list of plants that my local Walmart has for sale, in hopes that they might work as well.
Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
There are some houseplants that can work well in ripariums, but don't make the mistake to just use any plant that you find. Most kinds of houseplants grow in the wild as upland forest platns in the jungle and they cannot tolerate having their roots permanently wet. The best kinds of plants to use in ripariums are those that gorw in the wild as true marginal aquatics. These plants make the best representation of the riparian habitat and they also grow the best in the riparium planters.

There are also very good chpoices among plants sold as aquarium plants (in their emersed forms) and as pond plants.

Here are some quick suggestions...

HOUSEPLANTS
  • Spathiphyllum, many differen hybrid varieites, choose smaller plants for a 10-gallon tank
  • Pilea, especially P. cardierei and P. mollis 'Moon Valley'
  • Fittonia
  • Syngonium, some varieties work better than others

AQUARIUM PLANTS
  • Echinodorus cordifolius
  • various Hygrophila
  • Bacopa monnieri
  • various other stem plants, e.g., Limnophila

POND PLANTS
  • Cyperus, especially C. 'Baby Tut' and C. alternifolius var gracilis
  • Acorus gramineus, but be careful because insect pests destroy it
  • Colocasia fallax
  • Ruellia brittoniana
  • Asclepias currasivarica
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Thanks!

I have a peace lily, just one for now, I have tried ivy that I bought at Walmart and it did well, I know it grows in just water, so I tried it in my goldfish tank in a planter and it was happy. I think I'm going to continue to use it. There was another plant that I thought I had heard that you could use, I'll have to go back and write the name down.

I have some lucky bamboo as well.

What about purple waffle? I found that at Walmart too, I know I have heard things about it on this site too.

Oh and I have pothos as well!

Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Purple waffle worked for me although I didn't really care for how it grew for me. It wilted when I first put it in and then started growing really well. What I didn't like was how the leaves started pointing straight up. You'd be better off with some cool pilea. Here's a link to another forum that has put together a list of plants. It's not as active as this forum, but the list is good.

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...ested-out.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode