Keeping the glass from fogging up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Keeping the glass from fogging up?

I have a 20gH high-humidity riparium with crypt. wendtii variation's, Pilea 'pan am', pilea 'moon valley', Bacopa salzmannii, Alternanthera rennickii and Dracaena marginata 'tricolor' all in above water part. The problem I am having is that the glass fogs up to much for me to even really see the above water part. Is there any way to fix this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Leave a 3/4" to 1" gap in the front of the aquarium lid it will clear up and humidity will still be fine for the plants

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Gotcha. Thanks!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Yep that usually works well. When you open that gap keep an eye on the plants to make sure that it doesn't get too dry for them.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
So what level of humidity can one expect, with the lid 3/4" open?

I have an emerged tank of Crypts w/90% humidity, temp stays around 80degrees. Very happy with it now. Eventually I want to upgrade it from a grow tank status to quasi-display and it would be nice to see what I'm growing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It depends on a few things like water temperature and lighting but a 3/4" or 1" gap should be about right. If the crypt plants stay nice and perky with good color then it is humid enough for them.

If you use one of those hinged glass versa tops you can make the gap real easy by just removing the plastic strip on the rear edge, then sliding the glass back.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Right now I just use Saran wrap as a top. My grow tanks are in the unfinished basement so the "look" really doesn't matter.

I'm thinking about putting a 20L in my home office. It will be "clinical" looking just clay pots of plants but, I would like to see them through the front pane of glass.

I guess I could just vent it when I'm at the computer.

Thanks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The key thing about it is that you make the gap up at the front. That way the warm air rises up along the front pane of glass and helps to keep it clear.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Another thought is to put a small heater in front of the tank and turn it on low when you want to clear it up, I use it on mine so I dont have to worry about RH dropping too much just don't turn it too high or leave it too long, I actually left it on for two weeks straight once accidentally and everything inside was fine temp maxed out at 82'

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What kind of heater would you do that with?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just have a small $20 duraflame heater from bed bath and beyond

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Internal air circulation is another way of dealing with it. A computer fan inside the viv, powered by a cell-phone charger or other dc-converter, works. Direct the output towards the glass.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzen View Post
Internal air circulation is another way of dealing with it. A computer fan inside the viv, powered by a cell-phone charger or other dc-converter, works. Direct the output towards the glass.
anyone know of a diy version of this, or a how to make this. I'm setting up a 29 gal paludarium and want some good circulation to prevent fogging up too and i want some air plants so they need the air flow as well.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
A good DIY video can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0BoJaORNU8

It show you some of the basic components and how to wire them all up

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
That was a great link, but you can do it without soldering. Just twist the wires together and use electricians tape or even hot glue. He also mounted it out of the viv, which is nice and clean. I've done it both ways, and inside is easier.

Step by step instructions:

1. Get a computer fan. you can either pull one from an old computer, or buy a new one online. I like the 90 or 72mm clear ones. You can get moisture resistant ones, but I have had good luck using regular ones.
2. Pick a cell-phone charger or wall-wart. If you look at the printing on it, it will say, "Output: 5.0V == 550mA," or whatever it is rated at. The fans are meant to run full output at 12v, but will run fine, just half-speed at 5v. (One of my viv's that has good outside air-exchange stays totally condensation free at 5v. Another one has minimal outside air exchange and needs to run at 12v to be clear, and still fogs up a bit when the lights are off.)
3. Then strip the wires from either the fan or the wart and put the wires together. This is low voltage, so you won't get shocked. the fan will only run if the wires are correct, so if it doesn't run, switch the connections and it will.
4. If you are mounting it in the tank and have frogs or lizards in there, put a screen on at least the intake side of the fan.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode