70g paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
70g paludarium

i've never attempted to do this before so i have a few questions:

1). how do i keep the glass from condensation? i know it's suppose to be a good thing but what's the point of having a nice tank when you can't see anything.
2). i have 4x 39w T5HO lighting on a 36x15x32"tall tank. is that enough? and how long do you keep lights on in a palu/ripa/viva/tera..?? also all my of bulbs are 10,000k. are those ok?
3.) how can i add some fan/s in there with out compromising Humidity? do i even need fans?
4). i do have a Waterfall feature in there so im assuming i do not need a mister. what kind of animals can i keep? i was thinking of a small Chameleon or some tree frogs or Dart frogs.
5.) can i install my pressurized CO2 system that will hopefully benefit both my aquatic and air plants?
6.) most of my Air plants prefer warmer temperatures. i was thinking on putting an aquarium heater in the water and hopefully that will raise the temperature above water as well.

here are my plant list:
bromaliads
vriesea
neoreglia
tillandsia
ferns
orchid
anubias(that im trying to grow emersed)

thanks a bunch!

here's some photos of the construction i did just last night. still not done! just did this a few hours ago... still needs substrate among other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2050_1231dec1120001.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	38827  

Benedict

Last edited by gogreen; 12-15-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
i've never attempted to do this before so i have a few questions:

1). how do i keep the glass from condensation? i know it's suppose to be a good thing but what's the point of having a nice tank when you can't see anything.
2). i have 4x 39w T5HO lighting on a 36x15x32"tall tank. is that enough? and how long do you keep lights on in a palu/ripa/viva/tera..?? also all my of bulbs are 10,000k. are those ok?
3.) how can i add some fan/s in there with out compromising Humidity? do i even need fans?
4). i do have a Waterfall feature in there so im assuming i do not need a mister. what kind of animals can i keep? i was thinking of a small Chameleon or some tree frogs or Dart frogs.
5.) can i install my pressurized CO2 system that will hopefully benefit both my aquatic and air plants?
6.) most of my Air plants prefer warmer temperatures. i was thinking on putting an aquarium heater in the water and hopefully that will raise the temperature above water as well.

here are my plant list:
bromaliads
vriesea
neoreglia
tillandsia
ferns
orchid
anubias(that im trying to grow emersed)

thanks a bunch!
i will try and post photos in a bit.
is it a riparium or paludarium? you can't keep frogs in a riparium as it is just rafts. a paludarium has actual land.

1. either through fans or through having an open top. if you're doing a traditional riparium you won't have any problems. if you do a paludarium that needs high humidity, you will need a strip of open area in the lid and maybe some fans as well. usually you would do this if you have animals (dart frogs etc../plants that need the humidity, but if not you can have it open top no problem.

2. lighting sounds fine but might be a little bit high depending on plants.

3. you can if you have a top on the tank. the fans just circulate the air, which is good for the plants.

4. a waterfall will not mist the tank. you'll need to do that anyway. the higher the humidity, the less watering you'll have to do, but be careful not to kill your plants. tilandsias and some broms don't like being waterlogged.

5. don't know anything about chameleons so i can't answer there but darts and tree frogs would be fine providing they can get out of the water if they fall in.

6. tillys/broms should be fine at room temperature, but a heater will raise the temp if you need it to.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespers_ View Post
is it a riparium or paludarium? you can't keep frogs in a riparium as it is just rafts. a paludarium has actual land.

1. either through fans or through having an open top. if you're doing a traditional riparium you won't have any problems. if you do a paludarium that needs high humidity, you will need a strip of open area in the lid and maybe some fans as well. usually you would do this if you have animals (dart frogs etc../plants that need the humidity, but if not you can have it open top no problem.

2. lighting sounds fine but might be a little bit high depending on plants.

3. you can if you have a top on the tank. the fans just circulate the air, which is good for the plants.

4. a waterfall will not mist the tank. you'll need to do that anyway. the higher the humidity, the less watering you'll have to do, but be careful not to kill your plants. tilandsias and some broms don't like being waterlogged.

5. don't know anything about chameleons so i can't answer there but darts and tree frogs would be fine providing they can get out of the water if they fall in.

6. tillys/broms should be fine at room temperature, but a heater will raise the temp if you need it to.
i do have some land area but i think i might just keep a newt or something.
so how about CO2? is it worth adding one?
the tank air temperature is at 78F right now with out an aquarium heater. should i still add one?
and how often do you mist?
thank you for your reply. i really appreciate it!

Benedict

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
i do have some land area but i think i might just keep a newt or something.
so how about CO2? is it worth adding one?
the tank air temperature is at 78F right now with out an aquarium heater. should i still add one?
and how often do you mist?
thank you for your reply. i really appreciate it!

looks really nice! love the broms . i wouldn't add co2 since you don't have aquatic plants. at 78 you don't need a heater (unless the animals you choose need more) and most people mist every 1 to 2 days (by hand) or have misting systems that go several times a day for a few seconds. it all depends on the needs of the plants and animals.

filstar pimp #171
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespers_ View Post
looks really nice! love the broms . i wouldn't add co2 since you don't have aquatic plants. at 78 you don't need a heater (unless the animals you choose need more) and most people mist every 1 to 2 days (by hand) or have misting systems that go several times a day for a few seconds. it all depends on the needs of the plants and animals.
thank you! i do intend on adding more aquatic plants(im still not done)
how about photo period? how long should i keep the lights on?
i noticed when i wipe the glass a while ago to take some photos. some algae where already forming on the glass! and this tank isnt even a day old! haha

Benedict
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
thank you! i do intend on adding more aquatic plants(im still not done)
how about photo period? how long should i keep the lights on?
i noticed when i wipe the glass a while ago to take some photos. some algae where already forming on the glass! and this tank isnt even a day old! haha
I'm not too sure about lights, but 8-10 hours should be fine. that's stange about the algae, didn't think it would grow so fast

filstar pimp #171
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so i tried opening up about 1" of clearing on the top pf my tank to help with condensation but there is still alot of it on the glass. anything else i can try?

..also, do you guys know if newts eat tetras? im trying to think what cool animal/s i can put in there.

Benedict
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would research newts. From what I've seen they like colder waters around 70F, but thrive around 68f. Just a thought
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
so i tried opening up about 1" of clearing on the top pf my tank to help with condensation but there is still alot of it on the glass. anything else i can try?

..also, do you guys know if newts eat tetras? im trying to think what cool animal/s i can put in there.
a small muffin fan should do the trick. as for newts, i really can't say. i've never kept them with fish. i assume they would eat anything they can fit in their mouths.

filstar pimp #171

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode