Lygodactylus Williamsi Viv Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lygodactylus Williamsi Viv Project

Over the last couple weeks I've been working on this tank and it's finally almost where I want it. I'd like to get some thin little branches for the very back but for the most part I'm happy with it...now comes the hard part: actually finding someone with the geckos for sale!
Random pic from google of what's going in the tank:
http://www.biolib.cz/IMG/GAL/BIG/138058.jpg

Construction pic, background is done!

Drainage + landscape fabric added to keep dirt where it belongs:

Dirt and some tiny little plants added

Almost done...bromeliads came in the mail and everything was glued & planted into place.

.....and now! After replacing the light above, taking out all the moss substrate which was a huge PAIN (I thought it was live moss but nope.) and adding some brass buttons, a bit of pothos cuttings, and a big patch of sphagnum moss I found by a lake and NEEDED it because it was such a bright green:

The new light really made a huge difference, and I can't wait till the brass buttons spread over the rest of the tank and the little climbing plants start to cover the back. Gonna be a jungle~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's a great looking vivarium!!!
Is it you first tank? And what method did you use to build the background?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIT BMX View Post
That's a great looking vivarium!!!
Is it you first tank? And what method did you use to build the background?
Thanks! It is my first viv

Background is a thin layer of silicon, covered by black great stuff (easier to disguise imo) and then silicon + coco fiber again after I carved it for texture.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice tank! can't wait to see more pics of the new inhabitant

btw where did you buy your broms?

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Looks AWESOME!

I'm on the hunt for some L. williamsi myself- they've become almost impossible to find!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespers_ View Post
nice tank! can't wait to see more pics of the new inhabitant

btw where did you buy your broms?
Thanks! The broms and two air plants are from http://www.tropicalplantz.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Looks AWESOME!

I'm on the hunt for some L. williamsi myself- they've become almost impossible to find!
Thank you! Yea, every site I find has them all sold out, plus Reptiles magazine just did an article on them which probably increased the demand even more.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

how often do you mist? i'm thinking of getting some tillys for my paludarium but i'm not sure how well they'll do in damp conditions.

filstar pimp #171
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespers_ View Post
how often do you mist? i'm thinking of getting some tillys for my paludarium but i'm not sure how well they'll do in damp conditions.
Every day or every other day, the soil is always damp and the one on the branch, Ionantha Druid, is flourishing but the other I remember had 'fuego' in the name isn't doing so well, not sure why. Could still be in shock from shipping it maybe? I might replace it with something else soon.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

my fuego isn't doing so hot either and this is months down the road and it came in blushing. the druids on the other hand are practically spreading! i keep mine in what amounts to a green house over a 45 gallon aquarium. So maybe fuegos need it dryer? mine are just strapped to a branch, no "substrate" what so ever. nice build.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah apparently there's xeric and mesic tillys. mesic respond better in wet conditions and xeric like it drier.

what i'm not sure about is how well even the mesic ones will do as it says they should dry out within 4 hours of watering.

filstar pimp #171

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode