Snackneck Turtle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Snackneck Turtle

I have the ability to take in a Snakeneck Turtle. I have a 36 Gallon Bowfront I could use - but am very unfamiliar with these species.

This would be my first turtle, and first Riparium.

What are my options? Am I limited to just the turtle, or are there any species of livestock I could combine him with?

How do you incorporate plants into a tank like this? Build up rocks then use potted?

Is this a big enough tank?

What could I expect in terms of smell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/to...e-neck-turtle/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I do not know anything about turtles, but post photos of the build as it you build it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most snakeneck turtles can get anywhere from 7" for a male to 16" for a female, you didn't specify which sub-breed it is, but that is the general range. The average tank for turtles is 10gallons for every 1" of SCL (shell length measured in a straight line, not the curve of the shell), so even at 6-7" if you had a small species, the 36 still isn't really big enough. If it turns out to be a big breed female, you're looking at a 125-150gal+ to house her properly. You generally want 3x the rated filtration if not more for your water volume.

Turtles can make great pets providing you provide the proper tank and filtration, UV lighting, heat basking lamps, basking area, etc for them. They can also live 40-50-60 years and aren't something to get if you're going to be bored of them in a year or two or can't provide the space needed, water changes on a 100+gallon tank, etc. I have two and my female cooter is in need of a bigger tank in the next few months. She is about 9" now, and can barely turn around in her 55gal, so I'm getting a 125gal long for her. I have a 2 of the biggest Eheim canister filters ready for the tank, etc. Its a lot of investment of space and money to setup a "proper" turtle tank. With a bowfront tank, the sides are even more narrow than the middle, so that would mean even less room on the sides for the turtle to be able to turn around, etc.

So to sum it up, your 36gal tank isn't big enough for even the smallest of full grown snakenecks, and no where near big enough if its a larger female. If you're willing to make the investment and have a pet potentially for 40 years, go for it. If not, please pass and hopefully someone who can house that size tank, etc, for it.

Not trying to be rude, but too many turtles end up in the too small of tanks because they look cute at a pet store when they are the size of a quarter, and parents buy a 10gallon turtle starter kit, but in a year when its 3" and its bioload can't keep up with the cheap filter the starter kit came with, the turtle either gets let loose somewhere and probably dies since its wasn't wild breed, or gets passed along because someone doesn't want to keep up on water changes, bigger tanks, feedings, etc.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Snakenecks bite. I remember that. They eat fish, so livestock may be just the turtle ? Turtles tend to flail about if they get startled, so any plants should be sturdy. Bog wood will help provide hiding places.

Substrate is the issue. Turtle keepers worry about ingestion. Some prefer river rock over small gravel or sand, but depends who you talk to.

Females get larger than males. But all tend to need large tanks with oversized filtration. Canisters or wet/dry preferred. Turtles in a tank put out a lot of waste.

Personally I do NOT consider Snake Necks beginner/easy Turtles. I've has Aquatic Turtles. I've worked in Reptile stores. A 36g would only be a temporary tank, till they outgrow it.
JMHO.

Here is a very basic guide
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1228.html The one part I'd question is lifespan. Most turtles are long lived. Like 20 + years.

Turtle Rescues often are overwhelmed with Turtles needing homes. They do sometimes have other species besides Red Eared Sliders. Consider adoption if you really want a Turtle

A decent turtle tank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhnS...e_gdata_player

Another nice set up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3mn7...e_gdata_player

Do your research and GL with your tank, with or without a Turtle in it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 on the substrate tip above too. I use river rock. Either something to big they can't eat, or sand so it passes through them. Gravel is bad can end in an impaction that is $500+ at the vets to fix or you have to have it put down.

There is only a few species of turtle that actually stay small and don't get that big, but most turtles expect a 100gal or more if you want to provide a good home for them.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Most snakeneck turtles can get anywhere from 7" for a male to 16" for a female, you didn't specify which sub-breed it is, but that is the general range. The average tank for turtles is 10gallons for every 1" of SCL (shell length measured in a straight line, not the curve of the shell), so even at 6-7" if you had a small species, the 36 still isn't really big enough. If it turns out to be a big breed female, you're looking at a 125-150gal+ to house her properly. You generally want 3x the rated filtration if not more for your water volume.

Turtles can make great pets providing you provide the proper tank and filtration, UV lighting, heat basking lamps, basking area, etc for them. They can also live 40-50-60 years and aren't something to get if you're going to be bored of them in a year or two or can't provide the space needed, water changes on a 100+gallon tank, etc. I have two and my female cooter is in need of a bigger tank in the next few months. She is about 9" now, and can barely turn around in her 55gal, so I'm getting a 125gal long for her. I have a 2 of the biggest Eheim canister filters ready for the tank, etc. Its a lot of investment of space and money to setup a "proper" turtle tank. With a bowfront tank, the sides are even more narrow than the middle, so that would mean even less room on the sides for the turtle to be able to turn around, etc.

So to sum it up, your 36gal tank isn't big enough for even the smallest of full grown snakenecks, and no where near big enough if its a larger female. If you're willing to make the investment and have a pet potentially for 40 years, go for it. If not, please pass and hopefully someone who can house that size tank, etc, for it.

Not trying to be rude, but too many turtles end up in the too small of tanks because they look cute at a pet store when they are the size of a quarter, and parents buy a 10gallon turtle starter kit, but in a year when its 3" and its bioload can't keep up with the cheap filter the starter kit came with, the turtle either gets let loose somewhere and probably dies since its wasn't wild breed, or gets passed along because someone doesn't want to keep up on water changes, bigger tanks, feedings, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Snakenecks bite. I remember that. They eat fish, so livestock may be just the turtle ? Turtles tend to flail about if they get startled, so any plants should be sturdy. Bog wood will help provide hiding places.

Substrate is the issue. Turtle keepers worry about ingestion. Some prefer river rock over small gravel or sand, but depends who you talk to.

Females get larger than males. But all tend to need large tanks with oversized filtration. Canisters or wet/dry preferred. Turtles in a tank put out a lot of waste.

Personally I do NOT consider Snake Necks beginner/easy Turtles. I've has Aquatic Turtles. I've worked in Reptile stores. A 36g would only be a temporary tank, till they outgrow it.
JMHO.

Here is a very basic guide
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1228.html The one part I'd question is lifespan. Most turtles are long lived. Like 20 + years.

Turtle Rescues often are overwhelmed with Turtles needing homes. They do sometimes have other species besides Red Eared Sliders. Consider adoption if you really want a Turtle

A decent turtle tank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhnS...e_gdata_player

Another nice set up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3mn7...e_gdata_player

Do your research and GL with your tank, with or without a Turtle in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
+1 on the substrate tip above too. I use river rock. Either something to big they can't eat, or sand so it passes through them. Gravel is bad can end in an impaction that is $500+ at the vets to fix or you have to have it put down.

There is only a few species of turtle that actually stay small and don't get that big, but most turtles expect a 100gal or more if you want to provide a good home for them.

Great feedback from all! I really appreciate and have decided I am going to pass on this opportunity for the best interest of the turtle.

Thanks again, this is why I love this forum!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Great feedback from all! I really appreciate and have decided I am going to pass on this opportunity for the best interest of the turtle.

Thanks again, this is why I love this forum!
No problem. Just from someone who jumped on getting a few turtles and now has to dedicate 100gallons for one and 55gallons for another when I really didn't ever plan on that, but considering I got them in rough conditions and I see how many free turtles people give away because they can't care for, I've decided to keep them for the long haul and give them the best life possible, because most people won't.

Sump Pimp #2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode