chia pet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
chia pet

anyone ever use the chia pet seeds on a piece of wood or rock? their website says you cant over water them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like it might work.
Give it a shot, and keep me updated.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i would if i could find a darn chia pet. ive tried only kmart so far. if youre in the virginia beach area and know where the chia pet is, i would def. .like to know. from the fully grown ones ive seen, it would be a nice land carpet plant. much easier to grow than terrestrial moss for sure...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

finally found one, got a homer
package says:

when growth appears leggy and over grown, its time to remove old growth. depending on home conditions, chia will have a lifespan of aprox. 4 weeks.

i hope this is just a ploy for them to get you to buy more chia seeds. i have no real idea how big they actually get.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, lets do it then.

im gonna plant 3 different types of "substrate"

1-the Terra cotta "homer" chia container. instructions state to keep it full of water at all times, and if you grab the bare figuring, it will be wet to the touch (but not look it)

2-what im assuming is limestone. it didnt have a strong reaction to vinegar...what its actual Ca content is, idk, its a cool piece though.

3- wood. Malaysian drift wood or so labeled. pre soaked as usual.

my plan is for a lil vivarium/paludarium in a 2.5 (only spare i got )
water flow is up in the air, idk if the toms aquatics lil pump (its small) is trust worthy or if i want to rig an aqua lifter to move water for me. it def. doesnt have to be fast, just moving. both rock and wood would be in the water in some shape or form.

water level will be LOW so the aqualifter is winning the argument in my head at the moment.

lighting is undetermined. i have the lamp for a standard 2.5 i could drop a new bulb in, or an old 12'' current usa satellite fixture i could drop a dual daylight lamp in.

know idea on what to put in it, but i did find a blue rolly polly in the yard that might make it in there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Planted Member

It sounds like the price is right on that rolly polly.
Post some pics.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica

That article explains a little background on chia (the plant) itself.

This will be cool if it works out and you are actually able to grow them in a vivarium. I had a couple chia pets as a kid though and they never seemed to live that long. The seeds would sprout and then die after a few weeks or a month.

I suspect though that might be more due to the lack of any substrate/nutrient base for the seedlings. It would be cool to put some of the seeds directly onto some soil too in the vivarium and see how long you can actually sustain them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sustaining them longer than the "12 weeks" the package states is the trick. ive seen at least one chia that was older than that. i only worry that i will end up with a tank full of shrubary.

im gonna plant the chia pot, then the tank when it comes together and hope it all starts to sprout before i deploy....

pics to come
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
So any update to this, I want to see how this ends up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
i have no real idea how big they actually get.
I did some quick internet searching on cultivation since people have been known to grow this plant as a food crop. It looks like it grows to a height of about 4 feet.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
This is weird, I saw a chia pet at kmart about an hour ago and thought the same thing...any updates?

SunSun Pimp #57

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

no real updates, didnt plant it. lost intrest after reading more about the plant. i have a feeling it would be a fast grower that would over run a tank quick.

id have to say all in all it was 20% general intrest loss 80% work related.

been on the look out for carpeting terrestrail plants other than HC and these weeds that grow in the cracks of sidewalks keep catching my eye....no idea what they are. they have small leaves and hug the ground. they have to be hardy as heck, they deal with harsh summers rather well, and people walking on them. idk how our snow (weak flurry) has effected them, but many ive seen are still green.

long story short, i canned the project. still looking for a carpeting plant that likes it a little drier
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

due to work, lost intrest.

had a long story to post about it, but i guess the work computers dont like forums.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never owned a chia, but I always suspected it was a similar process to growing bean/alfalfa/whatever sprouts. Just keep the seeds moist,and they will sprout their little roots and cotyledons or whatever.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode