Want to set up a terrarium and need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Want to set up a terrarium and need advice

I'm thinking of setting up a terrarium just as a decorative piece. It will be open top and I want to use plants from around the outside of my house. I have a lot of moss that grows around in the yard. Also I have seen a few other plants and I wanted to see if anyone could ID them?

Also, I was wondering what type of soil I could use and possibly be bug and critter free?

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
A good cheap way is garden soil, bake it in the oven for just long enough to kill all the bug eggs and weed seeds.
Good luck, and have lots of FUN!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Never thought about baking it.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I set it up today. It's nothing special....just an old pot (like you cook with) lol, no handle on it though. Plants are moss gathered in my front yard, some type of grass, some type of clover, another type of plant and what I believe is dichondra. lol I don't know what any of the names are really. I can't post a picture right now, but will post some tomorrow. It actually looks nice as a decorative piece. It's funny... you can go out in your back yard and find what most people would consider weeds or invasive plants and turn them into something nice.

All the plants were gathered in the same spot as the moss, so I'm hoping they will all live. I put a layer of gravel, then potting soil, then dirt on top. I placed it on a small table that receives indirect light, so I"m thinking that will work. I'm just not sure how moist or how dry either one I need to keep it all. Maybe when I post some pics tomorrow afternoon, someone can chime in with recommendations on how to keep everything alive and well.

-----
Brad

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Pictures? Not really able to add to the "keeping it alive" help but I would think that keeping it a bit moist but not "wet" to begin with would be better (let the roots take hold). Looking forward to seeing it put together!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some pics. Ignore the lamp in the background and the paper towel underneath the pot. lol I have since removed it. The taller pieces of grass were laying down (wilted) this morning. I'm not sure it was due to the height or what, because the shorter pieces were sill perky. Everything else looks good.

-----
Brad

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking at the pics, it doesn't really look that great, but in person it looks pretty nice.

-----
Brad

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually, it look pretty cool. A little slice of your yard, in the house Looks to be common Mallow (which I think can bloom), Clover and some type of rye grass maybe? I am not sure what the moss is.

Duff

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh.. Also if you trim the tops of the grass looking one, it might fair better being newly planted. going to seed will drain its energy and take it longer to root - although, it is a weed and might not have issues with that

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Actually, it look pretty cool. A little slice of your yard, in the house Looks to be common Mallow (which I think can bloom), Clover and some type of rye grass maybe? I am not sure what the moss is.

Duff
Thanks! I wish I would have had something bigger to put it in and I could have done alot more with it. I looked up Mallow and I think you are right. I have no idea about the moss either, but it grows abundantly around the front of my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Oh.. Also if you trim the tops of the grass looking one, it might fair better being newly planted. going to seed will drain its energy and take it longer to root - although, it is a weed and might not have issues with that
I think I will trim the grass. Funny thing is... that was one that I would have swore would have been the hardiest out of all of it. lol We'll see how it goes. I'm thinking the grass is Bermuda grass.

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode