Classroom Terrariums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Classroom Terrariums

Ok so I need some searious step by step help here. I am a classroom teacher for a 6/7 split class. Part of the curriculum is different environments. I have a couple of personal tanks at home not doing anything so... I want to create some terrariums. I need to keep this as inexpensive as possible.

In my 4 gal tank I would like a very wet environment. like a pond. I am very inspired by the 5.5 gal budget post right under this one. I have a nice chunk of wood from my aquarium at home that I sawed the ends off of to make it fit. There will be a large pond area. How do I put this thing together? I have black gravel in the bottom, Wood for decoration. Then some peat moss and then potting soil? Then put whatever aquatic plants in there?
I have a HOB filter already to create a mini waterfall and some movement. I can put this guy in front of the window for natural light OR should I get a light strip. Should I have a lid or no? Should I get 1 fire belly toad OR an african clawed frog OR just a white cloud or two OR some shrimp OR nothing at all? I need some searious step by step help as well as what kind of plants can grow well emmersed from the fish tank. What fertilizers can go in a tank like this? Jobes fern plant sticks okay? Im gonna need to find some small clippings for this. Dont know where other than the classifieds. So I hope someone will be willing to help.

I also have a 10gal that I would LOVE to turn into a carniverous plant tank. How would I put one of these together? I would need to get a light I assume because they like it really bright and a glass lid for high humidity yes? What kind of light would be best?
Sphagnum moss substrate with what else? I get RO drinking water from the grocery store so no issue there. What kinds of carniverous plants can I keep in an wet environment like this? I would need ones that are easily available to Canada. We get venus fly traps at the grocery store some times (maybe once or twice a year) so I can get that. I love the look of pitcher plants (vibrant purple ones) and sundews. but I seariously need help with this one.

PLEASE this would be a great project for me to put in the classroom for my students. I will also get them to make their own terrariums out of large jars and moss and plantlets or whatever we find in the spring

32 gal planted amazonian-ish tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
For a carnivorous setup look at this;

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nt-layout.html

And if you ever go to Hawaii check out Aquascapes, the owner Jojo is really cool and has amazing tanks.

I am 13 so if it was me I think it would be cool to make a vertical terrarium, I am constructing one out of a 5g (no inhabitants). You could have a little water in it too, andif you got a 10g then could get vampire crabs.

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123848

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdduCrUHys
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OMG wow I love the first one.
Thanks for the links. They do give a lot of wonderful information.
So, the carniverous plants are basically seasonal. I would grow them mid Feb and then put them away in November in a fridge or is leaving them outside alright as long as they stay wet. I live in Zone 5. Would they die If they stayed outdoors for their dormancy period? Should they have a freeze period or just cold for 4 months?

what are some low light plants that do well emersed? (not carniverous ones)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I will help with what I can, but I am new too all this.
When it comes to vivariums one of the best builds I have ever seen is this one http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...varium-25.html. The forum is for dart frogs, but they can help a lot. Look up a man called GRIMM on there he's in Edmonton Canada, He might help you fined plant's in Canada (they can be hard to fined).
I had a CP terrarium for 2 years, until my cat used it for a litter box and killed it.

My tropical pitch plant was over 3 feet tall growing great! In BC there are lots of wild CP there too, if you don't care if the book is used you can get a very good book for the cost of shipping at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used it has a lot of info, A bog garden would be cool too.
As for frogs, green tree frogs are cheep, but they are nocturnal so they aren't very fun to watch. Dart frogs cost a little more but they are not nocturnal and much more active, they are also very color full.
Here are some links that might help, let me know how it works out if you need help let me know.
http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id1.html
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...opCuttings.php
http://www.petpitcher.com/nepenthes/...pitcher-plant/
http://www.carniflora.cz/
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...o2-plants.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ml#post1401484
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post

holy amazing! that's going onto my list of nicest tanks!

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hi it is me again. With the 4g I would make a terrapin with a false bottom. You use egg crate (the stuff that goes over flouscent lights) and build up a section a couple inches tall. You put the substrate on top and the water drains to the bottom. You can have an area without egg crate and make a pond. I think you could put a hose on a HOB filter so it can reach the water, and then hide it behind wood. The water can drip down the wall.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks all for the links and all the help.

I think for my classroom for now I am just going to do an emersed planted tank. I have moss and ricca. I will pick up some baby tears and white tipped christmas moss at the grocery store when they get more in. I need to figure out a lid or at least a half lid for the tank to keep humidity in there and something for a light. My husband stole my desk lamp so I will try to get a clip one one I guess.

I still love the carniverous plant tank and want to do one. I want to have one in my own house as well. I was reading the links you sent as well as some others I have found. Comming up with a compatable list is difficult and the dormancy periods still baffle me.

Do they need light through the dormancy period or can I just throw the plants in bags to keep them moist and throw them in the fridge? Wont that create fungus growth?
Some people just leave them in the tanks but wont moving the tank be heavy and difficult to move to a cooler location? Can I just take them put them in bags and hang them in front of a window in the garage? Do they really need light during dormancy? I have a crawl space that gets chilly but not cold but its DARK is that okay?

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

My tropical pitch plant never went dormant, it just grow all year long.
CP make great plants for the kitchen, they will eat a ton of fly's and ants!
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I was unsuccessful with my Venus Fly Trap during it's dormancy period. Sometimes they don't make it through.

The basic idea is, it needs to be moist, you can wrap it in damp paper towel. Some people spray the bulb and wrappings with fungicide, since fungus will kill the plant.

Once wrapped, put it in a plastic bag. Then put it in a cool, dark location. Keep an eye on it.

I used my garage, but some people use a basement or freezer/fridge. You need to look up more details, because I don't remember what the temperature needs to be below.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Below 50 I believe but not freezing.
Dont pitcher plants need to be wet? I red they like to have their feet wet all the time and NEED a dormancy period.

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

My CP tank had 2"-3" of pea gravel in the bottom then a 2" layer of charcoal, and 4" of peat moss on top. I kept the water level to the top of the gravel. My tropical pitch plant grow like a week in there!
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For how long FIT BMX?

How long can these tanks last? The max Ive seen is 2 years before plants need to be moved outside or they die and more are purchased. It would be nice If i only had to buy them once.

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Planted Member

There was only a pitcher plant in there, and it lived for two years before the cat killed it.
It had the biggest pitchers yet this spring. Two of them were over 4" tall, and 4 or 5 more pitchers were about 2" tall.
The plant had never looked better, at over 3 foot tall. Some tropical pitcher plants can grow over 10 foot tall!!!
So I thank they well live some time.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got in contact with Keehns Carnivores and we have been chatting over the last few days. They have been helping a lot. I am now on the hunt for some light fixtures for the 10gal and the 4.4 gal. I dont want to spend a lot because it is for a classroom so, used is what I am going for.
He gave me a nice tropical plant list of hardy plants that do not require a dormancy period. However they would do better if day and night temperatures were slightly different and summer and winter temperatures were also slightly different; although its not needed. I am getting so excited. I dont want to tell the students yet until I can get things started otherwise I will be raising their hopes for nothing. I told them that we will have something behind my desk and they are already excited over that lol. So, no details (which they are begging for) until things get straightened out.

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PS here is the list that Rick sent me

Here's a list of plants that should grow well for you.
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa
Nepenthes gracilis
Nepenthes viking
Pinguicula weser
Drosera capensis
Drosera natalensis
Drosera adelae
Drosera prolifera
Heliamphora minor
Cephalotus follicularis

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode