My simple utricularia farm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
My simple utricularia farm

I am mostly posting this just so I can take notes as time goes on. But others may feel free to post in here if so desired.

Yesterday I just set this little thing up. After doing some research over the past few months, and growing UG in a variety of different conditions, it seems that I've had the most luck doing it this way.

It's just a standard nursery flat and vented humidity dome, in which I have placed 2" net cups, all stuffed with sphagnum peat moss. It turns out that compressed sphagnum comes already innoculated with plenty of microbes and critters that will feed the utricularia. There is no standing water. The moss is just thoroughly soaked first, which contributes to the humidity in the enclosed dome. Also, only distilled water was ever used. Never has tap water come in contact with this setup. Bugs and tiny critters will absolutely find their way inside here, and they will continuously provide nutrient. This setup would basically work for almost any carnivorous plant.

This thread will be periodically updated so I can keep track of how long it takes the pots to fill in and get thick.

Last edited by Church; 08-10-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Very nice! All that UG must have cost you a fortune!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
This the stuff you got from me Church?

Nice job cultivating there. This stuff is super easy to grow.

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL, nope, it didn't cost a fortune. Just time. It started life as one little patch I bought from someone here on the swap n shop. That was a while back, but since then I've grown it submerged, emersed, in aquariums, in terrariums, in soil pots, and in hydroponic gardens. It just keeps spreading!

What you see in the picture above was from a 3" net cup I grew in a hydro system, which I then separated into 50 portions which were planted into 2" net cups and put under the humidity dome. It will take a month or so to completely fill in each of these net cups.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, speedie, this is the UG I got from you! Thanks again!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Anything new?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
How do you find the appearance when growing it emersed? The few pictures I have found online don't look as bright as the immersed form. This could be nothing more than lighting conditions or camera differences, so I'd be interested to hear from someone who's actually growing it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
How many watts/light is it? T5 24w?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode