Paludarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Paludarium?

1.If I were to turn my 10 gallon tank into one, how hard are they to maintain?

2.Could it be something that would work in an office environment?

I would want it to be simple as possible use existing HOB filter as pump for waterfall and ideally no heater. Fish would likely be white clouds unless I go with heater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Two days, 39 views and still no help?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i'm not sure what you mean. water levels in paludariums rarely exceed the halfway point of the tank, so i don't see a HOB filter being able to do it. most people use internal filter and pump the water up to the waterfall. are you just going to slope the sand or have an actual dirt area sectioned off from the water? (actual sections looks much nicer imo)

either way you'll have to take into account that you will lose a lot of water volume, so i'm not sure white clouds would even be suitable on a tank that is so small to start with as they need to be kept in groups and really do need a bigger than 5g tank.

depending on which way you go, i would say just get a small internal filter (like a fluval 1 or something) as they are quite cheap and put in a heater and get something small like bororas brigittae or vampire crabs (they'll use the land and the water, which makes them more suitable to paludariums )

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespers_ View Post
i'm not sure what you mean. water levels in paludariums rarely exceed the halfway point of the tank, so i don't see a HOB filter being able to do it. most people use internal filter and pump the water up to the waterfall. are you just going to slope the sand or have an actual dirt area sectioned off from the water? (actual sections looks much nicer imo)

either way you'll have to take into account that you will lose a lot of water volume, so i'm not sure white clouds would even be suitable on a tank that is so small to start with as they need to be kept in groups and really do need a bigger than 5g tank.

depending on which way you go, i would say just get a small internal filter (like a fluval 1 or something) as they are quite cheap and put in a heater and get something small like bororas brigittae or vampire crabs (they'll use the land and the water, which makes them more suitable to paludariums )
Thanks for the advise on the animals. I really like the brigittae and the crabs are pretty awesome looking as well.

I was thinking I could use airline hose to extend the intake down into the water. I haven't done alot of planning yet but I was thinking a land area using expanding foam as a base, then putting dirt, plants, rocks, wood on that. I could mold the foam to provide a path for the waterfall, with rocks imbedded in the foam to make it look natural. I would section the water areas off from the foam land base using plexiglass siliconed to the tank. Then I wont have to worry about the foam floating.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
Thanks for the advise on the animals. I really like the brigittae and the crabs are pretty awesome looking as well.

I was thinking I could use airline hose to extend the intake down into the water. I haven't done alot of planning yet but I was thinking a land area using expanding foam as a base, then putting dirt, plants, rocks, wood on that. I could mold the foam to provide a path for the waterfall, with rocks imbedded in the foam to make it look natural. I would section the water areas off from the foam land base using plexiglass siliconed to the tank. Then I wont have to worry about the foam floating.
sounds good, but i wouldn't build the base out of foam because you won't have drainage. usually what people do is create something called a false bottom. they put a base of eggcrate (light diffuser) over pvc pipes, then a fine screen (like a window screen) over that and then their substrate mix over top of that. that way, when you water the plants the extra water will fall down into the bottom and you can then suck it out. without a false bottom you risk having the roots of your plants get waterlogged, which will kill them.

for the waterfall, expanding foam would work great because it's really easy to work with but you might need to seal it with something. i'm not entirely sure if you absolutely need to, but most people cover the foam in a cement mix or drylok sealant. this makes it look more natural and gives it durability.

here a link on creating false bottoms:

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/a...lsebottom.html

this is a thread of a paludarium created by a guy on this forum. it's amazing and shows you what he did. he separated the water and land areas and has a false bottom: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...ice-setup.html

this is an example of the drylok method of sealing, but cement works great too. you can just paint it on:http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...-project/page7

filstar pimp #171
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Ok. I am following along on this one. I am actually doing the same thing at the moment with a 10 gallon tank. Thanks for all the info and I can't wait to see what you set up.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for the info vespers.

it seems like a waste to suck up the water that goes into the area below the false bottom. do you reuse that water to water again or toss it?

I have worked with foam before and you need to seal it with drylock or cement. I chose the drylock method when I use it before. I would use that same method.

Thanks for the helpful links!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i'm sure you could re-use the water that falls into the bottom, but it won't be a lot and might take a while to build up so that you can suck it out.

filstar pimp #171
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

if you have a land area with a false bottom and a water area sealed off area for a water section how would one normally access the area below false bottom?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
if you have a land area with a false bottom and a water area sealed off area for a water section how would one normally access the area below false bottom?
you would make a hole down through it so you can suck out the water. just put in a pvc pipe like the ones in the base but make it longer so that it reaches up through the foam and dirt to the surface, then you can just stick a tube or turkey baster etc... to suck out the water.

filstar pimp #171

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode