Are my carnivorous plants to tall? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are my carnivorous plants to tall?

Here are my PCs, are they normally this tall? The pitcher plant is over 40" and the sun dew is over 24". But I really like them.
And how do you clone pitcher plants? I have cloned some other plants including a sun dew using Green light rooting hormone, is it close to that?

The pitcher is 5" at the rim.

The ants came in around the window and jumped right in a 4" pitcher. A moth tried to save them but it didn't work so no more ants, and the plant is happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)
Wow, those are tall. Have you tried to looking for any info on them to see if they grow that tall normally?

I see you have them inside so it could be that theyre not getting enough light. Ive never seen any pitchers or sundews that have grown that tall but I dont keep any, only VFT's so Im no expert.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It is a south window and they get a fair amount of light, and I think there healthy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
yes it is normal for them to get that tall....even taller. there specimens that grow well over 10 ft tall. you can propagate/clone nepenthes via vine cuttings.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...opCuttings.php

and on the sundew---i dont believe that is a sundew. it's just a tall weed. i've never seen a sundew that looked like that before...if you had a closer shot, i could be completely certain, but look for red tentacles, if it doesnt have tentacles, it isnt a sundew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are some more photos of the sun dew, and my CP came from www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
@fitbmx: im sorry, but i dont think what you have is a sundew at all...if it is, it's a totally new unheard of species....there are erect growing sundews that can grow to a size as similar as yours but they are tuberous species and annually die off and reduce themselves to tubers during the summer and regrow in the winter. representatives look like this:
http://www.carniflora.cz/files/drosera-menziesii.jpg
http://www.auscps.com/modules/xcgal/...2/photo382.jpg
http://www.cpukforum.co.uk/uploader/...vey_290805.JPG

a close up of a typical tuberous sundew leaf:
http://www.auscps.com/modules/xcgal/...%20peltata.jpg

looking at the site you provided, i dont see ANY sundew in their stock that resembles what you have. and yes, i have grown/am growing every single species that they have in stock, and i can tell you straight up that they do not grow up to look like what you have. what could have happened was that the actual sundew they gave you died, and this plant took its place--- so you thought you had a sundew but in reality dont.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

When I got the plant it was 7 or 8" tall and has never stopped growing.
I wonder, is it a CP or am I growing a tropical week?
It grows great in that bog setup, I even propagated one from a leaf my cat knocked off about a year ago and it now 9 or 10 " tall. When I read this, it sounds like a weed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

It's a nice plant either way and you apparently like it, so it's up to you whether it's a keeper or a weed, but it sure doesn't look like a sundew. Has it ever produced tentacles on the leaves at all? (Yes, they're really called tentacles.)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Chlora13
Either they are really big, or very etiolated. Have you tried putting a plant Gro light on them, to see if they stock up? Most carnivorous plants need full sun out of doors to thrive. I know my venus flytrap was happiest with it, with the insides of the pads turning a nice deep red. ^.^

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows. ~Doug Larson

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode