Need help with planting. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with planting.

Hello,
I`m new to this hole plaudarium/vivarium planting part, and would reallyneed some to chose good plants for both water and land parts to my newt tank/paludarium. And as soon the newt have gone 100% aquatic i will raise water level with 5-7cm, so there will be more deep for higher plants.

For the moment I am in the final stage of cycling (if some wonder wy I have a heat warmer to a newt tank) it is only to speed up cycling.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on plants that can thrive in temperatur from 18-25 degrees in a pretty ventilated tank?

Dimensions: 95x60x47cm cm LxWxH. Lightning: T5 6500k daylight tube. As you can see it looks kind a boring for the moment with only cristmass moss, moss from from forest outside, java fern and Sagittaria subulata. A background would have helpt thou, but unfortunally I had no time for that.
Regards.

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
What are you talking about boring??? I love the tank!!!! It looks so natural, like a slow moving stream with the wood and river rocks lying on the sand.

I'm not sure if you have enough lighting but some Dwarf hair grass in some parts of the tank I think would look nice and natural. I wouldn’t go a full carpet but just little patches here and there. You could also maybe get a starter set of Riparium planters and grow some plants behind the longer piece of wood in the back.

Something like this:http://hydrophytesblog.com/ripariums...6&product_id=5

However, I'm not sure you want to pay for shipping all the way from Wisconsin to Sweden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Double post

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
What are you talking about boring??? I love the tank!!!! It looks so natural, like a slow moving stream with the wood and river rocks lying on the sand.

I'm not sure if you have enough lighting but some Dwarf hair grass in some parts of the tank I think would look nice and natural. I wouldn’t go a full carpet but just little patches here and there. You could also maybe get a starter set of Riparium planters and grow some plants behind the longer piece of wood in the back.

Something like this:http://hydrophytesblog.com/ripariums...6&product_id=5

However, I'm not sure you want to pay for shipping all the way from Wisconsin to Sweden.
Thank you =) I am allways wery sceptical to my tanks/vivariums, but maybe it looks okey without so much plants.

You read my mind! I was thinking about to put some pots with leaves plants behind the root and then cover it up with moss, stones and dead leaves. And for the water area some grass like plants

But the big question is which plants should work in a open tank with dry air?

Probleme with shipping plants is that i dont have a credit card, but it`s about time I fix one as there aint any good online shops here in sweden, everything is outside the contry.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well are you going for a natural green look, do you want some red in there?

Take a look at this link: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tfinder/go.php

All these plants can be grown emersed. Click on a picture and read the requirements and some have pictures of what they will look like when grown emersed.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i think most green in this paludarium. I have lookt around on that site many ours last week but but can not still decide me.

I tried to grow Java fern submersed but whit no success, it only dried out the leaves strange enought? so i put it down in the water again. I need plants that dont care if it is completly dry above the surface, otherwize i have to spray them everyday.

This is more how I have imagine me the plants, then a black wall poster and larger leaves that cover parts of the backside.

http://en.japanhotspot.net/feel/phot.../yanbaru15.jpg

http://en.japanhotspot.net/feel/phot.../yanbaru13.jpg

Soon i will give up
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well you going to need some type of lid on the tank... There needs to be some humidity in there. These plants are used to growing by or in water (high humidity 24/7 in the air).

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Well you going to need some type of lid on the tank... There needs to be some humidity in there. These plants are used to growing by or in water (high humidity 24/7 in the air).
I was afraid of that. However its not a big letdown for me, and few more aquatic plants will probably be enough.

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Why don't you want a lid on it?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Because of the temperature, it will probably get to warm in the tank/water. Most species newts want it pretty coold, and my species not over 25-26, well during the summer short periodes of time (one of the toughest species) ..And with a lid on the water will certainly get to hot during the hottest summer days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode