Blue Jack Dempsey Riparium planning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blue Jack Dempsey Riparium planning

Hello out there. Thanks for checking this out!! Here's the situation. I have a young blue jack dempsey in a 20L and need to start planning for a bigger tank. After spending many a night on TPT I've decided to go with a riparium type setup. I have lots of time to plan so I hope this thread will give me some good ideas and advice.

For my tank I'm going to get a 110g X-High (48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4) or a 90g (48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8). This way I can keep the water line at about 20 inches giving my Blue Jack ~ 70 gallons of water to play around in.

For filtration I already have an eheim 2213 (rated for up to 66 gallon tank). I figure the plants will soak up the remaining nutrients that the filter does not. I also have an aquaclear 101 powerhead (80gph) for added circulation.

For lighting I'm going to hang 4-T5HO (2 daylight, 2 plant) lights about 12 inches over the tank. I've seen some Hydroponic Fluorescent Fixtures and some Odyssea 4-T5HO's for very reasonable prices. What are your thoughts about them?

I also want to house a crested gecko in there. They are tree dwelling and can't swim from what I've read. Since Blue Jack Demsey's max out around 8 inches, and crested gecko's 7-9 inches will the Jack ignore it. I know they will eat anything that can fit in their mouths, but I don't think a 7 inch lizard will fit? Blue Jacks are much more peaceful than the typical Jack's. Mine has been living with ghost shrimp that I put in there as food for him. Moooron!

Here's the design I'm going for. It's based on the monkey enclosures at the zoo. A little island surrounded by water. Might this work for keeping a gecko from escaping? I'd like to have an open top if possible

What plants will work in a south american type sytem? My PH ~6.8, GH ~110, KH ~100.

Top View

Front View

Thanks for any input,

Cheers

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l

Last edited by BlueJack; 06-04-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

Do you know of any pics out there of what a finished tank in this style would look like? Your mock ups intrigue me, but my brain is having a hard time envisioning the finished product.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Surely. Here's a couple. Most of the setups out there have plants bordering the sides of the tank. I'd like to make mine more of an island setup because I'm going to try and keep a gecko in there and I don't want it escaping. Kinda like alcatraz.

Underneath the water it will look something like this (I hope). I won't have a carpet, but I plan on putting swords, annubias, and other low light plants.

Above the water line - With branches criss crossing acting like bridges for the gecko. Couldn't find an exact picture but here's somewhat of an idea.

The plants I plan on attaching around each stump will look something like these. I'm not sure of the names but they look like elephant ears, sawgrass etc.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l

Last edited by BlueJack; 05-21-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
any updates?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
this is a good plan. looks like it will look awesome!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
crested geckos cant swim i wouldnt put a crestie in there

Travis Skaggs

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Agreed. If they cant swim, why have a gecko there if they fall in the water..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Yeah, generally, geckos and ripariums do not get along well... Unfortunately.

I like where you are going with this though! Will the planters be attached to the driftwood?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought the gecko would be smart enough to stay out of the water....like monkeys do at the zoo...but I guess it'll just fall in....and that's $60 down the drain.

@ripariumguy-

I do want to attach them to the driftwood...not with planters though. I just don't like the look. I'm hoping I can hollow out some cork then wrap it around the driftwood stump(using nails, or waterweld). Has anyone tried this. I think the cork would almost blend into the stump. Should I leave a slight opening at the bottom for the roots to grow out? Or will they grow through the cork?

Here's a pick to get "sort of an idea". the cork is attached to the glass.

l
l
l

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode