10g paludarium journal picture heavy 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g paludarium journal picture heavy 56k warning

First off, how sweet are cork rounds? How do they get those?

Well finally replaced my old crummy 10 with a brand new one! Been wanting to try another paludarium with a little more land than my little 5g I've had going a while now, trying to decide if I ultimately want to do full aquarium or paludarium in the future with an empty 40g I have waiting in the wings. So far been real pleased, though It's been a little frustrating at times.

Just used flora max as the main substrate, with some super naturals black sand. Simply sat with some force on the cork rounds to break them up. Once again used tubing to connect the intake for the HOB to a point lower in the tank, hidden by the mound. I actually had to build, destroy, rebuild the mound like eight times. Kept getting sand in the impeller of the filter, stopping it promptly. Everytime I'd get the mound right, the filter wouldn't run; get the filter to run, mound breaks. Not to mention how many times I had to build it again just because the bouyant cork didn't hold in the substrate and floated up. That freaking happened so many times, so I'm sooooo pleased to have it all finally set in place. In the future I'd glue stones or something to the bottom to avoid the problem in the first place.
I'm not sure what if any kind of amphibian I'd like to keep in here, or if I'll keep any fish in here. One way or the other, I'd like to give it some time for roots to develop more, maybe help the cork to stay in place better too. I'd hate to come home to another soil break and dead filter due to a creepy crawly.

Pictures from about the first week or so.

basic hardscape

one of the first of many water fills

mound problems

You can see little hitchhiker sprouts growing from the cork, it also brought some moss with it

up close sprouty

Almost all plants except for the cryptanthus are from other tanks, I'm using mostly hair grass, pennywort, marsilea quadrifolia, lilaeopsis brasiliensis, rotala, few different crypts, e. tennelus, various mosses, mondo grass, bacopa sp., baby tears, and even tryin out a couple trimmings from my gold fish plant, and a lone java fern. But some of those you can't see yet. I've already got some more pictures from May, but I'm a little tired to post em now. So look for an update soon. Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Member

Thumbs up

Very nice!!!

Making your tank "maintenance-free" requires constant maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very small update

Been taking lots of pictures lately, not been able to get through them all. Been working on taking hdr shots. Here's a quick one!

Definitely have a ton more, the tanks been growing like crazy. Have a fogger set up on a timer, the moss has just been swimmin in it.

More to come!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sexy. well done!

i'd love to see the plant list/ferts.

do you do any misting? or is it just from the fogger/filter?

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
looks awesome

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Very nice tank! I have been doing hdr, but whenever I try to adjust the shutter speed I move it a tiny bit, so over the course of 4 photos it comes come blurry when all done. How do you do it?
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Algae Grower

There's no way in hell that that's a 10g! That's insane! The scaping is very intuitive for that small a tank; it looks closer to a 29 gallon.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
Very nice tank! I have been doing hdr, but whenever I try to adjust the shutter speed I move it a tiny bit, so over the course of 4 photos it comes come blurry when all done. How do you do it?
most dslr's now have an auto bracketing option, it automatically adjusts the shudder speed up and down a certain number of stops.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

vespers, thank you!
I've listed some of the plants in the first post, I can go back and try to identify more specifically when I next update with some pictures. I have only used some mild ferts so far. In my past experience, I tend to overfert at first and eventually I've got an algae problem. When I do, I use Brightwell Aquatics Multi-Nutrient with Iron and Iodide. Also have used Brightwells Aquatic's Carbon Source/Krebs Cycle Stimulator.

Thanks Orchidman for helpin out KarateKid. Karate, your best friend if you're trying HDR images is gonna be a tripod and automatic bracketing, as orchid explained. I've also got a program called Photomatix, though the picture above I only used Photoshop to mask out the different exposures. To check out some really neat HDR photos and tutorial, just google Stuck in Customs.

Really appreciate your comment, hello there. I tried my best to scale the plants down, though I'm thinking I'll soon pull the marsiela and maybe a couple others, as they grow just too tall for the tank.

More pictures soon, thank you!
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thanks for all of the advice guys! My photos look great now, and since I am just playing around with it I am using Photoshop and merge to HDR and all that stuff. I also need to get better at landscapes to really make the photos pop. Macro has to small a focal range for shadows and highlights. Thanks again for the help.

P.S. I have looked at stuck in customs before and loved it.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

idk, if this is what you mean, but cs3 and above have HDR tools in them. you dont have to use the merge tool

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice paludarium. So simple, yet so effective. Looks really good!
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any update on this?
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Big update (Photos)

Thanks again sharkfood, glad your photos are coming along karatekid14.

Alright, so these pictures have been on the computer a while. Finally resized.

May through July

The fogger

Marsiela

Utricularia gramanifolia on the right from Eden Marel https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/me...den-marel.html

Fog sweeping in

You can see hair algae growing even emmersed!

Flame moss emmersed

u g

This hitchiker became enormous before I finally removed it.

Marsiela openin up to some natural light

A couple HDR shots from early July

Thanks for checking in!
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks awesome! i want to see a recent full tank shot

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode