Finished 10g vivarium. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Thumbs up Finished 10g vivarium.

Hi all, just got done with my 10g vivarium, almost. Still gonna get some more plants and some kind of critters to put in it, but the hardware and stuff is all complete. This one is low-tec and also low-budget. The tank and HOB filter cost me $20. The filter quit working so I attached a waterfountain pump to it that I had given to me. Stock lighting, slate rocks out of my yard as well as the moss I have in there. $5 for a bag of gravel and I have, what I believe to be, a pretty awesome vivarium for $25. Can't beat that!! Gonna go down to the river and get me some more plants, then all I'll have to get are the inhabitants. Any suggestions? And as always criticism and praise is very welcome. Many thanks to all who have given suggestions so far, there are definitely some pro-scapers in these forums. Check out my 55g gf tank from my signature. It's still a work in progress so please come back for updates.

Found a lil' snail that prolly hitched a ride on moss from my yard. He's pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-09-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Found a lil' inhabitant!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
better camera!! I am thinking about doing a 10 Gal setup...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hmmm, I want to do a vivarium eventually. As far as some constructive feedback how about this-
Maybe change out the gravel substrate, go with something more natural, maybe sand, or brown/tan gravel.
Your little waterfall might look cooler if you find some more rocks so that the rocks go all the way up to the top of the tank creating a more natural looking waterfall.

Stock lighting could be your downfall, is it fluorescent or regular bulbs? If possible switch over to a daylight bulb of some kind with a kelvin rating around 6700k, it will improve your plant life substantially.
Go with some low light plants like java ferns, penny wort, hornwort, etc. Many of them can be found on ebay for extremely good prices, talking under 5 bucks with shipping.

Good luck! Vivariums are awesome!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Do it bry!!

My camera sux, it is just my phone but it took better pics then my webcam did. Hopefully will have a better, dedicated, camera so I can get some better pics. I think this looks cooler in person than on the site with the bad pics. Just had to share it though. My 4yo helped me with it and he is proud of "his" tank, lol. Would definitely recommend doing this bry, they are really cool and easy to make. And did I mention it has only cost me $25? Oh yeah, I did but had to reiterate Hope I get to see you start on one of these. Never heard of them until I joined this forum but really love them now. Very neat and relaxing to look at.

Updated 9-7

President.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks scags

I am always willing to listen to constructive criticism and appreciate it. "Maybe change out the gravel substrate, go with something more natural, maybe sand, or brown/tan gravel." I was actually thinking about having my kids pick out as much of the blue gravel as they would (get some of that awesome, free child labor because what else do we have kids for) JK. In the end I was in too much of a hurry and thought it would look ok with the new blue background. Turns out I dont like it too much either. Maybe one day before I get critters I'll get it done.

I also wanted to try and get the rocks as close to the filter as possible. These rocks I used were the biggest rocks I could find that matched and would fill my tank, so they are what I am using. I figured that any bigger and I wouldn't be able to put anything in the tank and I want to get some kind of something to put in there. Already I am only working with 2 gallons of water the way it is.

The lights in here are regular lights, stock that came with the tank. They don't do the greatest as a light, but they give off quite a bit of heat. The tank sits in front of a huge window, so during the day I have the curtain open to supplement the lighting. This looks much better in person, my stupid camera phone really does it no justice at all. With my attempt at a low-budget build I think I will keep these lights for now. Maybe when they start blowing I will replace them. I might just try to clean them and see if that helps any. Was looking at them and realized they had quite a bit of buildup on them.

I do appreciate, and agree with your suggestions. However, keeping with the low-budget, low-tech building guide I decided to go with what I had or could round up from my yard and the river. I probably will dig through the sebstrate and pick out the blue rock. Would definitely look better as black.

Thanks so much for your replies, they are really appreciated. Just because I do not take most of your advice on this build does not mean I do not appreciate them. I will, undoubtedly, build something else at a later date. Next time maybe a high-tech version that's a little bigger. Again, thank you all.

Updated 9-7

President.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode