70 Gal Tall Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
70 Gal Tall Paludarium

Just ordered a 70 Gal tall, and am gathering the supplies im gonna need for when it gets here. So I have a few questions just to make sure I have the right information going into it.

* What is an appropriate sealant? I assume paint (like on pvc and what not) needs to be sealed to prevent it from leaching into water and becoming toxic.

* I plan on building a pretty elaborate land area. I am not yet sure how to go about drainage for the land area. do I need to drill the tank in the land area? Is there a way that doesnt involve me accidentally breaking my new tank? Any pointers on this aspect of paludariums would be very appreciated.

* I do not have the space needed to mineralize my soil, so that being said what should my selection for soil layers be?

* Is Great Stuff toxic when it comes in contact with water? if so I guess you just silicone the hell out of it once it is dry?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have to admit the question about the soil was pretty lazy and i could find the answer to that myself. But, i guess for the rest of them I will be learning the hard way?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdubz View Post
Just ordered a 70 Gal tall, and am gathering the supplies im gonna need for when it gets here. So I have a few questions just to make sure I have the right information going into it.

* What is an appropriate sealant? I assume paint (like on pvc and what not) needs to be sealed to prevent it from leaching into water and becoming toxic.

* I plan on building a pretty elaborate land area. I am not yet sure how to go about drainage for the land area. do I need to drill the tank in the land area? Is there a way that doesnt involve me accidentally breaking my new tank? Any pointers on this aspect of paludariums would be very appreciated.

* I do not have the space needed to mineralize my soil, so that being said what should my selection for soil layers be?

* Is Great Stuff toxic when it comes in contact with water? if so I guess you just silicone the hell out of it once it is dry?

Thanks in advance
  1. What are you painting? If PVC then use Krylon Fusion no sealant needed.
  2. Woulld need alot more info to answer. Glass or Acrylic? Overall design would help. "drainage site:dendroboard.com" as a search criteria might get you started.
  3. It seams you answered this yourself.
  4. I would use Great Stuff Pond Foam anywhere around water. And neither once cured is toxic. I assume your attaching something to the great stuff. I would experiment outside your tank to get a feel for things first. Also Great Stuff while wet if misted with water will skin over as a tip. Gorilla Glue while it does expand also is a good replacement instead of silicone. Once again a good search on dendroboard will give you some decent tips. But also don't be afraid to experiment.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks!

The tank is glass, most likely using plexi as a divider for the land area, unless there is a better option. There is gonna be only one 'land area' but there will be hills/slopes (im gonna use eggcrate to give the hills strength so it doesnt just collapse) that would get real messy if I allow the soil to become waterlogged. I would really like to avoid drilling the glass, because I have never done this and this aquarium is brand new. I was thinking about putting a layer of coarse gravel under my layers of dirt, and having a tube travel up the back glass going between the gravel layer and out the top the the tank to allow it to evaporate and/or be hooked up to a small pump.

how does that sound? in the meantime ill check out dendroboard like you suggested
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Welcome to the planted tank i dont know how i missed this thread.

for drainage i put a length of airline tube into the bottom corner of my land area under a layer of coarse gravel covered with weed matting and when i accidentaly flooded it i used a large syringe to draw the water up and then let it siphonout into a bucket. it took about 12 hours to siphon but it did the job and the air line is hidden behind my plant wall so it cant be seen.

good luck and i cant wait to see some pics of it when your done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode