Dart Frog Vivarium Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm jealous! Any updates on the tank? I've just put a vivarium together for my future D. leucomelas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
I'm jealous! Any updates on the tank? I've just put a vivarium together for my future D. leucomelas.
Thank you! Things are growing in. I lost most of the aquarium plants when I was trying to figure out my humidity/misting early on and let it get too dry for a few days. Some of my moss has rooted which is good and my dragon tongue and mondo grass is flowering.

My hair grass carpet is not going to plan sadly. I added more from pots but it's just not growing very thick. I decided to supplement with other plants as well including creeping speedwell and dichondra repens. Waiting for seeds to germinate/get shipped on those.

I also found the frogs I plan to add. I am going with tinctorius true sipaliwini. I just contacted a local breeder for these and am waiting for pickup/payment information so that is super exciting!

The whole process is pretty fun! Despite a few hiccups I am really loving how easy it is to grow the plants.
frogmanjared and AwwShucks like this.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Wow. I love the step-by-step, and the pictures of it are amazing. It looks like such a fun project.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Wow. I love the step-by-step, and the pictures of it are amazing. It looks like such a fun project.
Thank you! It's been a great project so far and I haven't even added the frogs yet. Something that will change this Friday 🙂
Ordinary Joe likes this.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Thank you! It's been a great project so far and I haven't even added the frogs yet. Something that will change this Friday 🙂
Excited to see the next update, stuff like this always intrigues me. I personally wouldn't do the DIY mainly because I don't have the tools, but given the time and expertise, I would definitely dive into it.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 02:47 PM
Jh1

Nice to see someone who likes planted tanks and dartfrog terrariums, I do too!
For me it’s always been more about the terrariums and plants then the frogs, but the frogs are a nice addition.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh1 View Post
Nice to see someone who likes planted tanks and dartfrog terrariums, I do too!
For me itís always been more about the terrariums and plants then the frogs, but the frogs are a nice addition.
Since starting this I have found a few people just keeping plants in their terrariums and I can see the appeal. Its fun to grow species of plants that otherwise would be difficult or impossible to grow as an ordinary houseplant. But I think froggies are also fun :P And for whatever reason my wife is fully on board for this one too which is super odd for me since she hates fish tanks.
frogmanjared likes this.

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've been planning on D. leucomelas. Theres a reptile shop over an hour away that does carry darts from time to time. I asked about their fine spot leucomelas (very nice price, can get 4 for the the same as 4 standard shipped!) and they are waiting to hear from a breeder, but he expects them soon.

My anubias is trying to hold on, the Christmas moss is staying alive, but who knows!

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
I've been planning on D. leucomelas. Theres a reptile shop over an hour away that does carry darts from time to time. I asked about their fine spot leucomelas (very nice price, can get 4 for the the same as 4 standard shipped!) and they are waiting to hear from a breeder, but he expects them soon.

My anubias is trying to hold on, the Christmas moss is staying alive, but who knows!
Always nice to have a local breeder/shop! I picked up my froggies yesterday from a well respected local breeder. Its a lot of fun finally having them in the tank. I will post some pictures later by way of an update. I wish I could give you some advice on the anubias but every last leaf withered away on me.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update!

When reading various threads on suggested advice for new frog owners, one thing that kept coming up was getting your fly production well underway BEFORE the frogs ever arrived. Apparently some folks can struggle with fly production and since this is all the frogs eat, its a good idea to have a handle on it in advance. With this in mind I ordered a culture from online and had it shipped to me.

I also bought one hundred 32oz deli cups with special vented lids. These are for the fly cultures. Some folks wash these and reuse them but given the level of yuckyness after using these things I decided mine would be entirely disposable.

I ended up making my own fly media because.... I wanted to ;P but most folks just use Repashy Superfly and its probably the best off the shelf media out there but its also the most expensive. To keep my fly cultures viable as long as possible I placed them in a plastic bin on top of eggcrate with some diatomaceous earth in the bottom. This cuts down on mite infestations which can take over fly cultures even through a lid.

Here is what that looked like:

I'm happy to say all seems to be working which brings me to a couple of days ago.

Leading up to this I tried to get my hair grass to grow in and carpet but it was just not to be. It was growing alright but it wasn't forming a dense carpet. I decided to add a different plant. I went with Creeping Jenny because it was easy to get, cheap, and I think it would work.

Its been about 2 months since I planted the vivarium and it is time to add some frogs! I decided to buy my frogs from someone local to me which would lessen the stress on the frogs. I happen to live very near Dr. Sean Stewart who is somewhat famous in the froggy world for his work at the National Aquarium In Baltimore. I decided to buy a producing pair of 'True' Sipaliwini frogs 18 months out of water. The reasoning for this was many fold but it ultimately came down to just liking how they looked.

And here are some pictures of the vivarium as it currently looks and two close-ups of one of the frogs.

That pretty much brings me up to current. The frogs are new to the vivarium so they are going to be a bit skittish for the next few weeks. When I can I will take some more pictures. Since these are a producing pair sooner or later I am very likely to have eggs as well

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Update!

I'm happy to say all seems to be working which brings me to a couple of days ago.

Leading up to this I tried to get my hair grass to grow in and carpet but it was just not to be. It was growing alright but it wasn't forming a dense carpet. I decided to add a different plant. I went with Creeping Jenny because it was easy to get, cheap, and I think it would work.

Its been about 2 months since I planted the vivarium and it is time to add some frogs! I decided to buy my frogs from someone local to me which would lessen the stress on the frogs. I happen to live very near Dr. Sean Stewart who is somewhat famous in the froggy world for his work at the National Aquarium In Baltimore. I decided to buy a producing pair of 'True' Sipaliwini frogs 18 months out of water. The reasoning for this was many fold but it ultimately came down to just liking how they looked.

And here are some pictures of the vivarium as it currently looks and two close-ups of one of the frogs.

That pretty much brings me up to current. The frogs are new to the vivarium so they are going to be a bit skittish for the next few weeks. When I can I will take some more pictures. Since these are a producing pair sooner or later I am very likely to have eggs as well

I know I have a vested interest in this but nevertheless frogs look great..as does the enclosure..
I've cultured too many fruit flies in Genetics class to relive that though.
As to adults, I just remember that they live off beer.. well actually yeast in fermenting "stuff'"..

Other than that.. "looks" easier than an aquarium..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is gorgeous! I'd really love to keep these guys too but most exotic pets are illegal in my country sigh.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I know I have a vested interest in this but nevertheless frogs look great..as does the enclosure..
I've cultured too many fruit flies in Genetics class to relive that though.
As to adults, I just remember that they live off beer.. well actually yeast in fermenting "stuff'"..

Other than that.. "looks" easier than an aquarium..
Essentially ;P you can grow fruit flies on just about anything including bananas and sugar. There are a silly amount of recipes for media out there plus some very good commercial products.

I have had the vivarium up and running for 2-3 months and the frogs in there for 3 weeks I think. Its definitely a lot easier then an aquarium. Outside of feeding my maintenance is limited to refilling my water reservoir, and wiping down the glass to get rid of bits of leaves and such the frogs track on it. I do this about once every 2 weeks. I did trim a couple of plants once already as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
That is gorgeous! I'd really love to keep these guys too but most exotic pets are illegal in my country sigh.
No idea about the legalities, I think most countries where these guys could live in the wild if they got free don't want anything to do with them.

And for giggles here is a recent picture of my Biscuit my female out hunting.

chicken.nublet likes this.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Update!

And now enters a longish period of little happening. I need for the tank to 'cycle' which basically means the bugs I put in it need to establish and the plants need to grow a bit. Once that is done I can add froggies but that won't be for a minimum of a month and maybe 2. Probably the next thing I will do is begin my culturing of fruit flies. I don't 'need' to do that now but I want to get reasonably good at it before the froggies come which basically means having a few cultures started up, boom, bust, and replaced etc.

Subscribed.

Great journal!!! Makes for a perfect cross-over episode here.

A vivarium/paludarium is in my future somewhere down the road and I've also always thought dart frogs would be neat to have.
minorhero likes this.

New to hobby. July 15, 2020

17 Gal Lifegard (23.5x12x14.5)
Fluval 107 - Fluval Plant 3.0 - Hydor Inline 200W - Inline CO2 Atomizer
Fluval Stratum/CaribSea Eco-Complete
Hardscape/Flora/Fauna TBD
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by platipus View Post
Subscribed.

Great journal!!! Makes for a perfect cross-over episode here.

A vivarium/paludarium is in my future somewhere down the road and I've also always thought dart frogs would be neat to have.
Thank you!

I'm kind of hooked on dart frogs at the moment. It's a lot of fun to keep them and frankly so darn easy to grow the plants ;P

Tags
dart frog, frog, mist, vivarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode