Small paludarium!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Small paludarium!!!

Hello all,
I am planning to make a paludarium, and I know it's going to be a challenge, in a small...........wait for it.............. 0.25 gallon open tank (about a liter)!!! The tank is oval in shape (9"x4" at the widest and about 3" deep).

I was wondering what the easiest and cheapest method to construct this would be (eggcrate and gs, concrete, plexiglass, etc)... I do not want to use rocks or wood sticking out of the water to create the land portion. I do not mind sticking things permanently in the tank (almost a bucket ).

I would like small, live plants in both sections. Any ideas on what would be appropriate? Moss? Substrate, I was thinking sand that I clean and sterilize in the water, and coco fiber on the land. I do not want to buy a big pack of substrate for a tank this small. Any other suggestions?

As for inhabitants, I will not put anything on the land as this is an open tank an they could crawl out. In the water, would a shrimp work? I will have about 0.15 gallon of water if the land area goes all the way to the bottom (sloped or wall) or 0.25 gallon if I do a shelf like land portion. If I put a shrimp, would it crawl out on the land section or not? Any other possible inhabitants?

As for equipement, I would like a small pump (not a filter), not to strong, just to circulate the water that would fit in an area 3"x3". Any suggestions? Lighting, none. Fertilizer, none. CO2, none.

Also, would I have to cycle the tank before adding a shrimp (possibly) and if so, how?

Any suggestions is considered. I know, I know, I'm picky. As I said before, this will be a challenge, but I'm up for it. Please reply if viewing.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
1. I doubt there's a pump small enough that'll pump little enough water to do what you want it to do...be like 10gph max.

Plants would probably be limited to a moss.. as other plants will grow higher...

add a shrimp? what's the point?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Only thing I can even picture possibly working in a tank this small is a false bottom (probably eggcrate propped up on something small and clear) with the tank drilled at the back so all the equipment (pump/filter) can be external. Then you could play with head height (how low the pump is below the tank) to help control the flow rate on the return.

I'd probably stick with a snail in this small a volume of water, and that's only if you're using a signficantly larger volume of water in a filter or perhaps sump setup separate from the tank to keep up the water quality.

It's an interesting project!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I decided I was doing either a shelf like land area so there's water underneath or rocks and wood/sticks sticking out of the water at one end with a couple plants.

Also, I'm not sure yet if I should get a small pump (I found some) or just forget the pump as it is just for flow and not filtration. For a filter, I have read that if you have enough plants compared to your tank size, they are enough to keep you tank clean chemically. For hard/big waste, I will remove it manually or do a partial water change. So no filter in this setup.

As for inhabitants, a snail would be pretty cool but I've had them before an they crawled out of the water on the glass. So my concern is that the snail will crawl completely out since there is no top and the water will be about 1/2" below the rim. I would like to have 1-2 ghost shrimp and a snail as a clean up crew for the algae that probably will build up in the tank. It might be too much for such a small tank though!!!

As for plants, would a moss ball work? Is it going too grow to much? If not, I could get that and duckweed! It would provide a nice covering and could discourage a snail from trying to climb out.

Anyways... Tell me what you think!!!
Thanks
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'd just find a glass cutter and get him to cut slightly bigger demensions...that's me. But if something like that isn't available I guess go for it. It's always neat to experiment, sometimes it comes out really nice; others not so much.

keep it updated.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
I'd just find a glass cutter and get him to cut slightly bigger demensions...that's me. But if something like that isn't available I guess go for it. It's always neat to experiment, sometimes it comes out really nice; others not so much.

keep it updated.
I'm not sure I understand
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright so here is my plan (will post a pic or something later)!!!

I will create a shelf with eggcrate and pool noodles covered in thinset and painted. As for plants, I found on ebay (didnt order yet) a Moss Ball (Marimo Ball) for around 5$ and a tablespoon of duckweed for 5$. Since my dad works in the constrution business, I already have thinset and I have pool noodles, so all I have to buy is eggcrate (7$ for 600mmx600mm) and paint (not sure which brand/type yet).

As for livestock, I will buy 2 ghost shrimp and 1 snail.

No filter, no pump. I have read that the filtration provided by the plants combined with my small cleanup and water changes will be enough to keep it clean.

As for terrestrial plants, I would like a either a small plant with its leaves hanging in the water or a type of grass. Any ideas or other suggestions?

So it will probably turn out to be a build that costs about 20-25$ without livestock. Not bad!!!!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Try the Swap and shop forum here on TPT for that. You can probably get both of those plants for cheaper...Some of those ebay sellers are based in Aisa or some other country... bad deal for you when you get dead plants.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I could but probably wont find moss balls, which I really, really want! Plus, the sellers are from Asia but are garanteed live and well! So idk anymore :s
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Going to Lowes to get some eggcrate and silicone today!! Possibly paint!! Already have thinset!! So I am probably going to start today!! YAY!!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by palufreak View Post
I could but probably wont find moss balls, which I really, really want! Plus, the sellers are from Asia but are garanteed live and well! So idk anymore :s

Doubt it, a lot of plants get seized by customs, but wouldn't hurt to try I guess...

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Algae Grower

Do not pay $5 for a tablespoon of duckweed. For starters, the stuff grows prolifically, to the point the harvest it as a protein source so $5 is absolutely preposterous. I have three ponds out the back that are covered in limonera minor most of the year... One has been displaced by ceratophyllum dimersum. but if I skim that off it will be back!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I still need a floating plant!!!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok so I did the eggcrate shape and just put some gs on there!!! Tomorrow, I will carve it out, and sometime this week, I will apply thinset over it (if necessary?), soak it and paint it!!! Will post pictures when the whole build is done...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
For paint you probably want to stick with Krylon fusion.

And I bet you can get some great ideas from www.dendroboard.com- they're the poison dart frog vivarium experts.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode