Riparium plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Riparium plants

Would these work in a riparium? I'm planning to use a deep soap dish as a planter. If so, would fine gravel be ok or do i need some kind of soil?

https://www.amazon.com/Terrarium-Pla...a-570040501421
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It depends on which of those plants you actually get. From the picture I can say that Fittonia and polkadot plants do well. I'd recommend checking out this post if you're looking for suitable riparium plants https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html
I'd honestly say pick out specific plants if you don't want to waste your money, but if you want to roll the dice and just try whatever you get then go for it. I've actually found that the indoor houseplant section at Lowe's has a decent selection of suitable riparium plants.

As far as planting them goes I have mine in an expanded clay material (the kind used in hydroponics) topped with small stones but you could do just gravel. I just used the clay substrate to cut back weight and it's a little easier for me to plant in. Some of mine are also just cuttings and the roots are just stuck in the basket without substrate until I decide where to put them. I wouldn't say you necessarily need soil but if you use a planted tank specific substrate you should line the baskets with mesh small enough to keep whatever you use from getting everywhere. I really like the craft mesh because it's stiff enough to hold its shape and easy to cut to the size you need.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks!

Ended up picking up a Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella and Polka Dot Plant. Wanted to use expanded clay but HD didnít have any so I just used some fine gravel that I already had. Hopefully it all works out!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Most plants do well except the cacti family (succulents too) and avoid bonsai trees (the evergreen variety). Ferns usually do better with roots above water and some sort of wick to give them moisture-like attached to driftwood or sphagnum moss that dips down into the tank. This also works for orchids and terrestrial mosses.
You can also go into the seed section and try most garden plants, veggies and herbs too! Look up aquaponics.

I've kept both of the plants you got with roots in a tank (riparium) they do well. The palm will get huge over time. In 2-3 years mine was over 30" tall (started at 6").

I use expanded clay media simply for the lighter weigh-since my whole tank is rimmed with planters I don't want to strain it. The down side is the clay balls floats at first and can be a pain to get new plants to stay upright in. Once they grow roots through the basket they're well anchored.
I've never used soil or enriched substrate but if you have something like eco complete, ada amaznoia, etc you can use that. I'd avoid direct soil as it will be a mess and cause ammonia spike (the planting substrates may also cause ammonia spikes or drop in pH-research before using). I typically just use liquid ferts dosed into the water column, the roots suck it up. Most of the riparium bound house plants aren't too demanding on nutrients. I've neglected my 75g riparium for ferts for over a month-just fish/snail waste-no ill effects, have plenty of spathes (blooms) and new roots.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode