Green Tree Python Paludarium Suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By incloud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green Tree Python Paludarium Suggestions

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here and am hoping to get some information on a project I am gathering ideas for. I have been maintaining reef tanks for quite some time now and finally have my dream tank set up. My old tank which is a reef ready 65 gallon I just took down and am planning on using it to house a Green Tree Python. What I'd like to do is design a 3D Rock Background of some sort out of either foam or cement, have the bottom portion of the tank capable of supporting some small fish, shrimps, and such and if not too labor intensive a few hardy plants that require a masters in botany. I would like to use the overflow as a waterfall somehow and have a 10 gallon sump beneath in my stand filtered with a Fluval canister I have handy. I'm not sure what to use for lights but do have an assortment of different Reef Led's and LED Grow Lights around from other projects. I'm also looking into these foggers that I've been seeing on YouTube but currently have little knowledge of. I am a virgin with freshwater and have no idea about plants so any info that could help me avoid the inevitable beginner mistakes and wasting money on things I either don't need or money that could be better spent would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to try and get the plumbing laid out soon and at the very least design a background around whatever is put in place for filtration. Thanks in advance for your time and understanding!

Bobby C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice sound like you've given this some serious thought just a few things.

Sumps are the way to go with paludariums. Just curious are you planning on having the return on the canister feed into the main tank or just going back into the sump? You could always have the return going into the overflow so when it is filled up entirely it will spill over into a water feature (hopefully that makes sense) having a sump and canister is a bit of overkill but if you have it laying around why not.

As far as lights any grow lights you have should work fine. Lighting doesn't have to penetrate water for a good portion so it doesn't have to be super intense unless you are planning on keeping high light plants in the water section. If so good luck.

Terrestrial plants I would go with hardy species like photos that can take a beating These also can have the really cool effect of the roots trailing down into the water, providing nutrient uptake and providing shelter for the fish.

aquatic plants I would stick with low light plants like java fern, anubias and crypts. Fortunately these are all very beginner friendly.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Nice sound like you've given this some serious thought just a few things.

Sumps are the way to go with paludariums. Just curious are you planning on having the return on the canister feed into the main tank or just going back into the sump? You could always have the return going into the overflow so when it is filled up entirely it will spill over into a water feature (hopefully that makes sense) having a sump and canister is a bit of overkill but if you have it laying around why not.

As far as lights any grow lights you have should work fine. Lighting doesn't have to penetrate water for a good portion so it doesn't have to be super intense unless you are planning on keeping high light plants in the water section. If so good luck.

Terrestrial plants I would go with hardy species like photos that can take a beating These also can have the really cool effect of the roots trailing down into the water, providing nutrient uptake and providing shelter for the fish.

aquatic plants I would stick with low light plants like java fern, anubias and crypts. Fortunately these are all very beginner friendly.
Thanks, I have given it quite a bit of thought and it is coming together nicely. I've decided against the canister as it is not reliable enough for my needs. I ordered a pump specifically for this build and have got the plumbing with a sump all sorted out. I'm using a small separate pump just for my waterfall to recirculate the water and the sump will be primarily for the tank. I've decided to have small bonzai trees in the tank on the land portion and will take your advice on the aquatic plants to keep things simple. I'll be tearing down my Reefer 450 after this is all set up and using that for a rain forest type setting so I'll surely be back here for tips when that time comes. Thanks for your feedback!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"I've decided to have small bonzai trees in the tank"

Might want to get that masters in botany then lol.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
"I've decided to have small bonzai trees in the tank"

Might want to get that masters in botany then lol.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
I actually called this place and talked to a really nice lady who helped a lot. She invited me to go look at Bonsai's and said there are types that are inexpensive and very easy to keep. The climate my setup will have should make a perfect home for some species as she says. Tanks coming along nicely and should be up before long. Ordered my Python today to be delivered next Friday.

https://www.bonsaioutlet.com/bonsai-trees/

Last edited by incloud; 03-08-2019 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Forgot Link
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Algae Grower

good luck
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finished Paludarium

Hey guys, I managed to complete my project and received my Manokwari Green Tree Python. My project was a production and I'm still cleaning up the mess but wanted to show you what I came up with. I just got it set up yesterday and in the early stages but would love to hear your feedback and suggestions. Here's a video I made of the Paludarium I designed. Thanks!

CulperJr likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Watched the video, nice job!

You literally just blew my mind by saying you don't mind the look of the white egg crate in the tank but hey to each their own. Personally I would at the least attach some matten filter material or something similar to it so fish can't get back there and die and mess up water parameters.

One thing I am a little confused on is the stratification of temperatures in the tank and the temperature control. You said that the top is kept at 90 mid 80 and bottom 70. That seems like an extreme shift for such a small space. I guess what I don't understand is how that would work with the controllers. I guess all 3 temps have to be at its set temperature or the heating or cooling would kick on. But I guess I am wondering what happens if say the top temp goes above 90 so the heating would turn off and the fogger on. What if while this is happening the bottom sensor is below 70. I guess what I am getting at is with 3 temperature parameters it seems like it would be very difficult to control as apposed to a single temp reading in the middle of the tank.

Also with the fogger, as you mentioned in the vid it really won't do any cooling just provide humidity. I feel like having the fogger set to go on when temp raises it will be very difficult to monitor and control humidity. Since humidity and temp are 2 different animals I would recommend not having the fogger linked in anyway to the temperature. A better way to control temp (unless you just let it drop naturally when the heating element goes off) would be to set up fans at the top of the tank one with air flow going into the tank the other out. The fan going in would take the hot air at the top of the tank and force it down below. The one going out would force the hot air out replacing it with the cooler air outside of the tank through passive ventilation. Also a note on the fogger, I hope you made it easily accessible since the disks in those will need to be replaced quite often especially when they are used with non distilled water.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Watched the video, nice job!

You literally just blew my mind by saying you don't mind the look of the white egg crate in the tank but hey to each their own. Personally I would at the least attach some matten filter material or something similar to it so fish can't get back there and die and mess up water parameters.

One thing I am a little confused on is the stratification of temperatures in the tank and the temperature control. You said that the top is kept at 90 mid 80 and bottom 70. That seems like an extreme shift for such a small space. I guess what I don't understand is how that would work with the controllers. I guess all 3 temps have to be at its set temperature or the heating or cooling would kick on. But I guess I am wondering what happens if say the top temp goes above 90 so the heating would turn off and the fogger on. What if while this is happening the bottom sensor is below 70. I guess what I am getting at is with 3 temperature parameters it seems like it would be very difficult to control as apposed to a single temp reading in the middle of the tank.

Also with the fogger, as you mentioned in the vid it really won't do any cooling just provide humidity. I feel like having the fogger set to go on when temp raises it will be very difficult to monitor and control humidity. Since humidity and temp are 2 different animals I would recommend not having the fogger linked in anyway to the temperature. A better way to control temp (unless you just let it drop naturally when the heating element goes off) would be to set up fans at the top of the tank one with air flow going into the tank the other out. The fan going in would take the hot air at the top of the tank and force it down below. The one going out would force the hot air out replacing it with the cooler air outside of the tank through passive ventilation. Also a note on the fogger, I hope you made it easily accessible since the disks in those will need to be replaced quite often especially when they are used with non distilled water.
Thanks for the detailed response! To be honest with you the video was a bit premature as I had just barely got it up and running. A majority of what was said was based on goals and specifics I'd like to achieve. I had very little intention of it working precisely how I wanted from the rip and assumed I'd need to make changes and adjustments. I ran into a situation with my first attempt where using fiberglass resin drastically changed my path due to the strength of the odor coming off the original design which was a very naturalistic DIY background, waterfall, and such. As far as temps go 70 to 90 is quite a drastic fluctuation in the area given. It is more like an 85 to 95 heat gradient from the surface of the water to the top of the tank. When the heat lamp kicks on and provides a basking spot for the snake my infrared heat gun shows 98 degress on his highest perch. I have 4 perches allowing different temperatures from fairly cool to very hot in order for the snake to bask and cool off. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to put any fish or other life in the water, just plants. Worse case, I'll remove the crate and just keep it as a vivarium for the python. The crate doesn't look natural of course but going by the video that inspired me below doesn't look too bad once filled in with plants. I'm just testing things out and keep in mind I've been doing salt water reef tanks for over ten years and haven't had a snake in almost 30 years. I've never had a tank with live plants either so seeing that I know very little about this side of the hobby I'm overall pleased with where it's going regardless. I got my reefer 450 torn down now and after more research and I get the snake tank settled I'm going to put together a nice planted setup. My ultimate goal is to keep things simple but add an aesthetic appeal with what I have. Reef tanks just became far too much work but the money invested and modifications to my house to incorporate them along with my love for the hobby has me in search for a better solution. Thanks again!

Tags
paludarium, python

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode