plateu with waterfall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plateu with waterfall

I am wondering how you would build a waterfall that goes through a plateu in a terrerium. I was thinking of building a 10 inch tall plateu that I will carve in it a stream like depression from were a pump at the end of the plateu will be. The stream will than carve through the plateu and fall over the designated edge. It will fall over some rocks until it reaches a pool at the bottom of the terrerium. I am wondering what material can i use to make the plateu. It needs to be strong enough to carry some animals and rocks. It needs to be carvable to make the stream. And it needs to be waterproof and animal freindly material. any advice on how to create such a plateu with waterfall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Styrofoam?

That is the only think I can think of.

I have seen alot of ppl build structure in vivariums with a material called 'great stuff' but i have never seen it for sale. I think its some sort of spray-able foam. You might try finding some of that too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, Styrofoam sounds good, but is it strong enough to hold both an animal and bedding, rocks, etc. and is there a way to make it waterproof?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)
I've always wanted to make a waterfall for my terrarium.. but never found the time. Here was one reference I had looked at when I was interested;
http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/how...waterfall.html

There's a lot other how-to-builds out there for waterfalls. They look very cool.

I love this guys;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-iLbscaoV0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks i'll look into those.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The gs or great stuff as they call it is in fact spray foam used in house construction to fill the gap between windows and the framing. To waterproof it and make it strong, you will have to cover with either thinset or mortar mix. Then you can paint it with acrylic, waterproof and nontoxic paint and seal it if you want.
Although he doesn't use gs, this thread explains in greater detail and with picture the process:http://www.vivariumforum.com/communi...-log-pics.html
Good luck!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
you can purchase great stuff online, through Amazon. If you do this get the black kind made for ponds. It will cost you about 8 dollars a can. Also, I have yet to figure out how to save a can once you have began to use it. So you will have to make sure when you start you are ready to use the entire can.

Or you can go to Wal-Mart, paint department, and pick up the great stuff. like 3 bucks a can and waterproof it as mentioned above.

I also have a waterfall that came with a filter. I forget who made it. It has an opening at the bottom for the water to enter, it gets filtered and spits out near the top. The top comes off for easy access to the filter. I used it in a firebelly tank years ago. It was different. I'm sure once you place it in the corner of your tank you could manage to build land and river leading to it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Something that would be cool if your filter is like "thelastlife" mentioned above is because you can carve the great stuff, and because your filter intake is at the bottom and the output at the top, you could create, inside your plateu or cliff, a kinda cave with the water leading all the way to the back where your filter is. Then it comes out the top, it could be another "mini cave" so you dont see the filter, down the stream, fall in the pool with a waterfall and starts over!!! I will try and post a pic or sketch to better understand!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry can't upload a pic!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode