Vivarium build input please - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (401/100%)
Vivarium build input please

Would like input on what I have in place. Thoughts on plantings and what to house. I know it's a little different but had a specific space I wanted filled. This is my first build and have enjoyed working in it.

johnson18, Kehy, burr740 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can try Mosses, Smaller plants like anubias, Crypts, air plants, Aridarum, Ferns etc
Bartohog likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

Really nice Background! What is your planned humidity level? I think that would influence what you would house and plant quite a bit.
Bartohog likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking at 85 to 95 percent
Ty
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's an updated pic planted with some stuff I had accumulated over the last couple months.

Buce
3 skeleton king
1 Pandora queen
Couple small clumps

Ferns
India
Mini leaf
Trident

Vines
Couple marcgravia sp.
Ficus

Bolbitus difformis

mbkemp likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 05:12 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's some very impressive rock work. Very nice
Bartohog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you. Besides moss what are some other small plants that will work in the more flat areas, even smaller leaf plants that got a little height to them. Any suggestions for small vines for background? Who are guys on here that sell/trade?
Ty
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
Maybe try some of the dart frog sites for some other plants? I know there are some cool Begonias they like to vine. Hydrocotle sp Japan also does well from what Iíve seen. Wandering Jew does well but can get out of control very quickly. Maybe some Neoregelia?
Jane of Upton and Bartohog like this.

--------------

Riley
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartohog View Post
Any suggestions for small vines for background

A few that have done well for me in the past (mounted epiphytically within humid growing environments)... Peperomias (I'm especially fond of P. prostrata - a bit more difficult to grow than some of the other Peperomia varieties), the vanilla orchid Vanilla planifolia, Marcgravias (e.g., M. rectiflora is one that can be mounted lower because it grows toward the light instead of trailing downwards), and Dischidia ruscifolia. There are quite a few other species that might "fit your bill" (as mentioned above, Begonias, etc.).
Bartohog and f Majalis like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

Ficus pumila 'quercifolia' is another small climbing vine, cute ivy-like leaves, grows more slowly than regular Ficus pumila (which can easily get out of control once it establishes).
Bartohog and f Majalis like this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Algae Grower

Selaginellas would probably do well for you at that humidity - S kraussiana and S brownii are the easiest, S uncinata has an amazing blue sheen and isn't hard, and S erythropus is taller, and a pain in the butt, but a nice red color under the right light.

Pilea microphylla, P nummulariifolia and/or Pilea "glacophyllum" could work on flat areas. None grow very tall or have large leaves. P microphylla and P nummilariifolia are invasive plants in most tropical/subtropical climates, so they will definitely take off. In the same vein, Cymbillaria aequitriloba would probably do well, but gets stringy. There are, of course, many small orchids that could do well with those conditions, but they tend to be more expensive so I can't really comment on them.

There are quite a few vining ferns that would so well at that humidity, if you want an uncommon vining plant. I grow Pleopterus percussa at a lower humity (70-80) but it would probably do okay in that range. It can either work as a carpet or a scrambling vine. Lemmaphyllum microgramma, Pyrrosa nummularifolia, and Microgramma species would also work. Pellonia pulchira could vine in areas with good drainage. There are some mini Syngoniums, if you want an aroid. There are rarer small aroids, but they tend to be expensive and harder to buy (especially right now, as aroids are "in style").

If you like grass-like plants, some members of Cyperus, some tropical Carex, and most Eleocharis are rather small and would do well with wet soil.

If you want some larger plants that would up the "tropical" look, Maranta leuconeura repens , and Monstera pittieri would both be good vines. Marantas sometimes die off a bit in the winter and want less moisture, though.

As a warning if you don't know, at that humidity level you will probably need to have a plan in place to reduce the risk of mold. I've personally never had as much of a problem with it as I ought to have, but I have heard horror stories.
Bartohog and Kehy like this.

Last edited by f Majalis; 11-22-2018 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Sentence got cut off
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
As a warning if you don't know, at that humidity level you will probably need to have a plan in place to reduce the risk of mold. I've personally never had as much of a problem with it as I ought to have, but I have heard horror stories.
Oh that's true. The wood will most likely give off some fungus for a period of time, just like it does underwater. Look into getting some springtails - those little bugs really are essential in planted vivariums, to help break down mold and detritus. They don't mind very high humidity either.
Jane of Upton, Bartohog and Kehy like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a ton of info and I appreciate all the input so far. I'll use the info and start some research in those directions. I know that I'll be installing at least 2 fans, I have 4 but not sure if I need all of them.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
Maybe try some of the dart frog sites for some other plants?
Yes, Dendroboard has an entire sub-forum dedicated to vivarium/paludarium plants. Lots of good information. Also, I recently attended a lecture w/ my local aquarium club that was about paludariums, and something the speaker mentioned (may be obvious, but it hadn't occurred to me before that) was that there are micro-climates within the various planting areas. He said his plants grew towards, and eventually occupied the areas THEY preferred, rather than where he had originally placed them. Some liked moving moisture at the roots (the trickles of water down the planting face) whereas others preferred to be a bit drier at the roots, but with lots of humidity. Some liked to sit in front of the circulation fans, while others did not.

Your background is REALLY cool! Kudos on a lovely sense of depth - it really draws the eye into the scene, even before being planted.
Bartohog likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Looks amazing so far, looking forward to seeing how it develops!
Bartohog likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode