55g Vivarium build + other aquarium to vivarium conversions! - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
55g Vivarium build + other aquarium to vivarium conversions!

55g- Some back story..
SO a few years back I was going to do a 40g breeder vivarium. Had wood picked out and everything, [even had a thread here].. but after photobucket [censor]ed everyone over with the huge yearly charge I stopped using them... But things came up and I had to set it aside.. ended up selling the wood (wish I hadn't now), and used the tank for goldfish aquaponics to grow mostly lettuce (but also kale). At the time I had a lot of aquariums.. too many (I stopped counting after 23 tanks with fish and plants.. >.>). But I've been cutting back as fish pass on from old age. Down to a more manageable 8 stocked aquariums.

SO now I want to set one up again but decided to use my very old and very varied in uses 55g tetra tank. It's been through a lot from aquarium to aquaponics, to riparium, to aquarium again.. It had a bad blow out a few years back on bottom pane of glass. I got to juggle transferring fish to another tank with trying to keep flooding to a minimum.. and completely ignored the family I had over for dinner that evening (thankfully hubby took care of them).

Here's a photo from my favorite time: riparium mode.. completely over taken with house plants bought locally at home depot/lowes/grocery store.. the root system under water was ridiculous! Really wish I hadn't sold the plants off.. miss it..
I swear there's a 55g tank under there.. somewhere O.o

ANYWAYS. Finally decided to set up a viv after I watching some videos from this youtube channel (seriously go check them out). Will upload some (crappy) build photos over next several days/weeks as things are put together.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice! What are you planning on putting in there?

Also what site are you now using to upload photo's. I still have photobucket and never had to pay since I didn't have all that many but if there's a better option I would appreciate the info.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Nice! What are you planning on putting in there?

Also what site are you now using to upload photo's. I still have photobucket and never had to pay since I didn't have all that many but if there's a better option I would appreciate the info.
I'm using https://imgur.com/ now. I deleted all my photobucket accounts when they announced their fees for making images use-able on other sites.

As for fauna current plant is just micro fauna-spring tails. Going to let plants grow in a while then look at other critters. I love dart frogs so maybe some of those..I just hate having to culture the food though, mostly from the on-going cost for media for fruit fly cultures since it needs replaced frequently... and the idea of food bugs getting loose.. have to make sure everything is seal up tight before they get in the picture.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LET THE PHOTO DUMPING BEGIN!

8/15-16/18
SO I spent all of yesterday draining and scraping all the mineral deposits (we have hard water) and dried algae off the tank then cleaned up the silicone edges a bit (no photos).

Today I took the pvc pieces my husband pre-made for me way back for the 40g build and siliconed them into the 55g. They are 1 1/2" tubes about 2" tall with small holes drilled into the bottom to let water through.

Cut egg crate (light diffuser from home depot) to size then covered in weed block mesh and zip ties.. for some reason my local home depot only had this in grey, not black.. Also made a drain pipe for water changes and made a large opening with wider lid so I can put a heater in the water below.

That took about 2 1/2-3 hours to get done.
Now I get to wait 48+ hours to let silicone cure before I move on.
I fortunately bought substrate way back for the last vivarium prep so I'm covered there.. just have to get spring tails.. maybe isopods (its really sad that my spell check triers to change this to "ipod") and substrate, put micro fauna, plants, and driftwood into tank... oh and go by home improvement store again for some Lexan (i don't trust myself with glass >.> ) to make a new lid and get a humidity/temp display I can slap in the tank.

Will post more updates as things happen..

For now I leave you with a quick snap of a find I didn't expect to see locally in a crappy diy humidity chamber. Take a guess at which fern species it is!

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice start. Are you planning on a way to easily access the heater?

I hear ya on the fruit flies. I don't really mind them but the wife does. I have a recipe for DIY FF media that is pretty cheap and works well if interested. Also if you want some giant orange isopods I can help you out.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Nice start. Are you planning on a way to easily access the heater?

I hear ya on the fruit flies. I don't really mind them but the wife does. I have a recipe for DIY FF media that is pretty cheap and works well if interested. Also if you want some giant orange isopods I can help you out.
The post above ours you can see I made a large opening in the left corner of the tank-this will let me access heater if needed (like if it stops working) I just have to push the substrate out of the way-I may put a large piece of driftwood over here to minimize substrate used. I'll be hooking up the heater to a temp controller to try to reduce the need to get in and meddle with it.

I'm happy to hear your home made media recipe. And what do you use for crawling surface in the fff cups?

Isopods I won't be ready to take for a bit-still need to finish setting up the tank but thank you, I may poke you about those later on!

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[8/17/18]

Moved fern to an empty 20g high with some water in the base and cling wrap on top. Guested what it is yet?

Just some quick picks from the 55g, nothing new happening for a while

Also have a tiny terrarium with emersed aquatic plants in a 2g cookie jar.. may be transferring to a 6g bowfront. Don't plan to keep any frogs in it, just springtails and plants probably.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[8-19-18] mini update
SO no photos this time, just a quick update... too sick right now to DO anything.
Driftwood is finally shipped (yay) but will take a week to get here as its coming from complete other end of the country (boo). But it gives me time to get parts for a lid and a humidity/temp gauge I can slap in there...
Yesterday I couldn't stop thinking of otehr set up ideas... I want to turn my 20g long into a vertical tank with a large piece of driftwood I've had for.. over 5 years now. Sadly no conversion ktis are out threre right now.. [I contacted NE HERP about theirs (currently on hold to be remade) This was their (rather fast!) reply if any of you are interested:
Quote:
After our contractor closed up shop, we struggled to find a quote which kept the kits economically viable for us. They were always a really low markup item to begin with, but the loss of the contractor was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. There have been a lot of projects at the company over the past two years since vert kits have been on hold, and I'm glad to say we're slowly researching bringing them back. Early this month I started working with two engineering companies to help improve the product. I can't go into specific details, but if all goes well the new kits will be a lot nicer & easier to mass produce than the old ones. (The term "Mass Produce" might be generous, but you get the idea!) I'm glad to say that it has recently been brought back to life from an R&D standpoint.

There are a few projects ahead of the vert kits in the company project queue. First, there's a major website update coming which accounts for the majority of my efforts over the past 14 months. I'll spare you the details, but the kits are about to get a whole lot more awesome & customizable. After that, I'll be working on wrapping up the construction & automation in our grow rooms. With that completed, I'll be tweaking and automating the availability of some higher-end plants on the site. Then Isopods, then Springtails. With all of those projects completed, Vertical Conversion Kits and a few related projects will become more of an immediate priority. Sorry for the long response, but I'd rather be totally upfront. There's a lot in the pipeline, so depending how things go, it could be anywhere from 3 to 9 months before I've got a finalized prototype. When they are almost available again, we'll be sure to let people know through the newsletter first. We might consider a pre-order through the Insider Menu at that point too. For now, it's definitely going to be awhile.

If you are looking for something sooner, it might be worth contacting a local glass shop for the glass doors, and picking up a Custom Screen Door Kit from Lowes or Home Depot. The parts will cost a bunch more than the kit would have, but at least you wouldn't end up waiting nearly as long. There are a few DIY articles out there for the project, if you decided to try it yourself!
I certainly appreciate them taking the time to explain what's going on. But it means if I want that conversion this year I'll be doing it myself... I looked at a few youtube videos converting 10gs.. my biggest issue is the plastic to glass adhering.. I may try ripping the black frame off the 20g and just do glass on glass and drill for latches/etc... but i don't do well with glass. tend to break it sooo I dunno....
I've also been mulling over my aquatic plants-I plan to remove fissidens moss from one of y tanks so to make a dwarf water lily species set up and thought about selling the moss (currently attached to several pieces of driftwood), or maybe setting up another vivarium/terrarium for it and keeping the moss... I also have some ragged riccia fluentas I want to pull from my tank and put into its own pico (3g and under) set up on wood...gah once I have one going I want to set up a bunch of tanks >.<

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Nice to see your still at it!!!
Im subbed and will be keeping tabs on this build!
Cant wait to see what you create, you always have good ideas!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Nice to see your still at it!!!
Im subbed and will be keeping tabs on this build!
Cant wait to see what you create, you always have good ideas!
Hey, haven't seen you in forever. I'm sorry about your goldfish boy. Is the tank dismantled now? If not UPDATE PHOTOS PLEASE!
Yeh I can't stop myself *eye twitch*

Good thing I hoard most of my equipment that's not in use so I don't have to buy tank/heater (if needed)/lights.

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[8-20/21-18]
Other Vivariums Builds... maybe>.>

So may ask an admin/mod to update my thread title to state its for multiple vivariumss.. or just make a serape thread for each.
Either way I pulled the screws off the old driftwood from the 55g (it is such dense wood it NEVER water logged in the 5+ years I've had it-had it screwed to a hug block of river rock. Anyways 5 yers in our water rusted ou the nails so was able to pry it off .. which is good because the screw heads weer just a rusted blood. After scrubbing the wood with a cheap dog brush (i use just for aquarium stuff) and inhaling a lot of wood dust and dried dead algae I had it cleaned up mostly.. need a tooth brush to scrub some nooks. Placed it on top of and along side my 20g long (currently full of water so can't put IN) and yup it'll fit [insert maniacally plotting laughter here]. Quick crapping photo of it, will get nicer photos of it later on.. someday.

Its red cedar but it was submerged in a man made lake for over 60 years and has no smell unless you drill a fresh hole. I think it will be fine. Fresh (still smelling) cedar can hard small animals and insects-messed up their respiratory system from its sap which gives off the smell.. but no stink, no problem!.
I may stick some of my poor melon swords (Echinodorus Osiris) in there-the goldfish need to like eating them.. maybe they're called 'melon' because they taste good? I dunno goldfish seem to leave everything else along in their tank. Finally pulled the swords today and stuck them with my anubias (seen in above photo) that will eventually go in the 55g.

I also tried to half-arse my way through setting up a 6g with a loose drain pip but the whole thing will just pup out of the gravel when I try to take off the cap so had to silicone it down.. I think its a 1/2" pvc.. maybe 3/4"? i dunno didn't measure-had the parts so just used them. So get to let that cure another day before moving plants from my cookie jar over and digging up one of my old lights to stick ontop.

[6g Bowfront Tank]
Not great shots (misted heavily right after set up) but quick photos of 6g bowfront with emersed aquatic plants from 2g cookie jar moved in. I'm not sure how they'll all do in there but its fun to find out..

I have dwarf hair grass (which grew better in just gravel and water with some ferts but I want to allow for spring tails..)
hydro japan (looks like tiny clovers. this was grown in a cup as a tissue culture so it takes off right away in a viv)
an impossible to spot anubias micro (smallest anubias species out there)
micro swords (which are slowly transitioning to begin emersed)
and some mystery stem plant I got with an order of jungle vals for an aquarium
The light is a finnex fugeray2 18" I pulled out of storage.. originally used with much lower light aquarium plants I stupidly put electrical tape over parts of the clear cover to reduce the light.. now the sticky black stuff won't come off. SO removed the clear cover and using cling wrap until I can scrap the cover with rubbing alcohol (husband's suggestion) hopefully will work as a solvent.
Forgot about hiding the cap with silicone and dirt but will do that another time-no fauna in there right now so not worried about something getting in the water when I remove the cap to camouflage it.

Will get better shots another day, you know where you can actually see the plants instead of just green blurs behind condensation.

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[THE WOOD IS HERE!]

So wood came yesterday YAY. Been messing with it for 4+ hours already?
Get to manhandle it into place for scaping, will probably spend all weekend doing that.
Of corse the largest/heaviest piece is the most stubborn about staying the place where I want it UGH.
I'm tempted to use great-stuff to force it in place (foam around it and hold it there until hardened) but I really don't like doing something so permanent... or deal with the post foam hardening work to hide the foam look.

[WHAT FROGS TO GET FOR 55G?]

Doubt there are many owners of darts on this forum but I'd like input from any that that are.

Tank dimensions: 48" long, 14-15" high (still have to add abg), 12" wide
Humidity: 70+ (probably higher like 80-90)
Temp: high 60sF to mid 70sF
Tank Placement: just outside home office moderate to high foot traffic area
Water Feature: currently none but can add stream/pond
Frog size wanted: ideally UNDER 2" to reduce damage to plants.
Frog temperament wanted: adults get along in group
Frog Noise level: well this is not in the bedroom so as long as they aren't as loud as birds I don't care, but I'd prefer medium to quiet calls-this is low on priority list.

Tank will have emersed aquatic plants so a lot of humidity. I a lot driftwood in there but its more for us (humans) to enjoy than the frogs to jump on-I'll have vertical tanks (20g long and maybe 20g high vertical conversions) later so don't mind the frogs not jumping on the wood.. even if it spans most of/the whole tank. Anyways I want something to utilize the 4 foot length that will get along well in a group as adults. I don't plan to breed for sales/increased #s (won't collect and grow out tadpoles-they're on their own).

[POTENTIAL DRIFTWOOD LAYOUT]
Shown in order of preference.. may try more options tomorrow

zip ties are temp so I can back up from tank and view.. also the large rock won't be part of the final display (i hope)-wood slips on trash bag i sued to keep from ripping the weed guard stuff.

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[55g Build-Battling the Driftwood]
So messed with some more layouts.. nothing's really catching me as "That's the one!" yet. # 7 and 8 are yesterdays, rest from today. Rock and zip ties are not gong to be a part of final layout

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

[Not much new with the 55g but.. there's a little and some future plans rambling]
Still mulling over driftwood layout but #7 is the most likely one I'll go with.

Played musical furniture yesterday with my husband toggling tables around to put the 55g back on the taller platform it use to be on.. the one that is 1/2" too short in length and caused it to leek years back. But it'll only hold 2-4 gallons instead of 55 plus my husband put some scrap plywood under the tank to give it support. Slapped a green rubber mat on that then black table cloth to hide it all and finally the tank.
Also re-oriented the 55 so the drain pipe/access port is at the front right instead of back left. Thinking about plant layout, the left side will have much more substantial roots and be more likely to make it very difficult to open the access hole up if needed in the future.
When moving the tank one of the pvc pieces for the false bottom moved-apparently I forgot to silicone one, so fixed that and giving it a few days to cure.

Side note: anyone that uses silicone that doesn't come with a cap to seal it to keep it from solidifying I found a great way to keep it from hardening in the tube! After use stuff a screw in the opening and put it in a 1 gallon zipping storage bag. Zip it most of the way close then put out as much air as you can with your hands before fully sealing the bag shut. I use GE II doors and windows 100% silicone (clear) and have had an opened bottle (term?) for a month with no issue storing this way. Before this I'd have to cut off a new tip 1-2" down to get past hardened blob in nozzle, or stab at it with something narrow and sharp to try to break up the solidified silicone in the nozzle (not fun).

I'm waiting on some hygrolon to ship that I plan to use on the back wall of the tank-I'll likely buy black silicone to stick it on since I'd read others had silicone come through it that was visible.
Plan to grow Brazilian pennywort on the back wall and want it to have something to climb up. I'll cut the hygrolon to go down into the water table below the false bottom and likely cut out a narrow 'water fall' reservoir open to frogs (use a lot of gravel to keep it from being deep).
I found some black flexible tubing I may use to do a waterfall drip and get a tiny pump to put under the false bottom for some slow flow just so its not stagnate water that builds up bio-film (that oily looking thin layer on surface of non moving water). Will post photos as I work on it.

Rabbits foot fern is doing well but now I am leaning heavily towards emersed aquatic plants only so I think I may sell it-I've had it 20+ days now and its doing great.

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 08-27-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: photos
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I personally like 8 as far as driftwood layout.

As far a dart frogs (I only have tincs. but have researched extensively) Are you planning on having a background? Also do you have any previous experience with them? If not putting in a background I would recommend Phyllobates terribilis, great in groups and can be fed larger food items if you don't want FF cultures. They don't use vertical space as much. If your doing a background maybe leucomelas, they would appreciate the height and are also great in groups. If you have experience with darts that would open up other options as you could go the thumbnail route.

Also just out of curiosity how do you know how long that cedar was submerged.

Tags
aquatic plants, conversion, emersed, vivarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode