Paludrium- New, searching for info on basics! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paludrium- New, searching for info on basics!

I'm setting up a 55g for a turtle and maybe some other stuff(if the turtle isn't a jerk) over the next month or so and I have some ideas rattling around, but want to make sure I do my homework. I have a high tech and low tech planted tank and I love them, and finally feel I'm at a place where my hair isn't on fire. The girl wants a turtle, so I really want to get this done right and good looking. I've read alot on Google, but yeah.

Right now I'm thinking of doing a land area about 14" deep off the bottom about 18" wide(water area would be 30"x~10"). I worked it out in my head pretty well, I'm just not sure if I would be better off walling off the land section or building up a substrate with varying sizes rock layers,sand, and dirt and eggcrate. I understand you don't want the soil waterlogged, so if I didn't wall it off I'd just use large rocks and eggcrate to hold in the land and only have my water level up to about an inch below the soil. My only concern is that the large rocks at the bottom of my substrate would grow all kinds of nasty stuff if it wasn't completely walled off, but if it is possible it would actually be easier this way. If it should be walled it'll be extra work but I have that planned too, even a drainage area at the bottom to assure no stagnant water stays around.

On a side note I'm looking to do a small stream through the center, a bit ambitious but I'm up to the task. Just involves doing a filtered intake to a pump I'd imagine? Saw my future turtle breed at an aquarium with this set up and they were loving it.

Any suggestions, links, yelling at my terrible ideas, or guidance is huge. Starting this in about two weeks. Thanks!!

New to the hobby, feel like ive really found something that can be a life long passion. I sincerely appreciate anyone taking the time to pass along any advice, and look forwards to being able to do that same. -DC

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode