Creating a Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedudeabides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Creating a Paludarium

So ever since I was small I have always wanted to create one. I am currently finishing my aquarium stand and then will be teeing off to create the substrate/etc. My question is what organisms I can use for the land part. I need some ideas of what will be the coolest addition. I was thinking a tree frog or two but not sure. The rest of the Paludarium will be self sustaining just need something that will not eat my fish.

Sometimes the Light at the end of the tunnel is just unseeable. Sometimes a shadow only exist, taking upon an illusion of the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

Firebelly toads and poison dart frogs are popular for paludariums, but they secrete toxins that can harm your fish. Tree frogs are a good option, but you'll have to make sure you have a lot of arboreal space and either a gentle "beach" or a lot of drift wood for them to get out of the water if they fall in.

I'm in a similar situation as you and am considering Gray Tree Frogs as they are native here and a good beginner frog.

Last edited by JackBinimbul; 08-08-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The natural question would be what size aquarium? How much land/water? What fish do you plan to keep? Also what exactly do you mean by self sustaining?

Personally I would advise against darts in a paludarium, while it has been done they aren't the strongest swimmers out there and do just fine in terrariums without water features. Why not have an animal that will take advantage of the water section and transition from one to the other.
matt11390 likes this.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBinimbul View Post
Firebelly toads and poison dart frogs are popular for paludariums, but they secrete toxins that can harm your fish. Tree frogs are a good option, but you'll have to make sure you have a lot of arboreal space and either a gentle "beach" or a lot of drift wood for them to get out of the water if they fall in.

I'm in a similar situation as you and am considering Gray Tree Frogs as they are native here and a good beginner frog.
i thought that poison dart frogs only produce toxins in the wild due to the insects they eat; captive bred frogs don't b/c their diet doesn't contain the toxins.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
i thought that poison dart frogs only produce toxins in the wild
My bad. I should have listed the dart frogs first and fire bellies second, since I was referring to the latter about toxicity!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode