Red eared slider tank, bog plants and water pump questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red eared slider tank, bog plants and water pump questions

I am looking for a few recommendations for plants and a maybe a water pump for my aquarium. I want to make a bog filter for aquarium. This is really more about being able to plant plants than it is about being a filter, but it will affect the type of plants I can use. I have a full 75 gallon aquarium, with an above tank basking area for my red eared slider. Hence the reason why I can't really plant plants in the tank. I want to make a small area off to one side of my above tank basking area into a planter for bog plants. Ideally I want to have sort of a spray bar in the bottom of the planter and pump the water though there that will then leave via holes or a spout in the top of the planter, which will then fall back into the aquarium. I could use the outlet hose of my filter in place of a water pump, to run the water though the plants. If I use a pump I am not sure what type of pump I would need or if it is better and easier to just use my filter. The filter is an Ehiem 2117.

The planter is about 15 in long, by 6 in wide by 5.5 in deep, though a little of that depth will be lost due to the water being returned to the tank. Though I could put holes in the bottom and then have the water enter from the top. The max height for plants to grow in is about 18 in (top of planter to screen). I am thinking about filling the planter with volcanic rocks, but I am not set on that yet, I just don't want something messy. My water temperature is ideally about 70 degrees and the ambient temperature is slightly less. My water is very hard, and the ph is about 7. I will have two Desert 50 UVB Fluorescent Bulbs (28 Watt T5 48 Inch) (if you care about the wavelength of the bulbs it is shown here: http://www.zilla-rules.com/assets/006/20616.pdf). Also the tank is in a room with lots of windows, 11 total all on the north and south walls, so even with min blinds there is a fair bit of ambient light.

I am not sure what type of plants to use, and I don't have a lot of space to work with. I don't really want anything that will grow very tall or need lots of trimming. A trailing plant would be nice, but I would need to make sure that it is not poisonous since I do not guaranty that my turtle would not eat it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode