40g Australian Inspired Paludarium build journal (Pic Heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
40g Australian Inspired Paludarium build journal (Pic Heavy)

I have just started the build of my 40g paludarium to house my 2 frogs. I was given the tank by a friend and all it took was a bit of elbow grease to clean the inside out as it had been kept outside for a while and had a heap of leaf litter etc in it. The tank measures 36" L x 14" W x 20" H (the size is sold here as standard 3 foot tank and is ~40g)

I plan to have a plant wall on the back wall made from rockwool cubes stacked up and covered with weed mat so it doesnt look quite so crap and the water pumped through the plant wall will drain back to the bottom of the tank via the stream / waterfall section on the right hand side.

This first pic shows the pieces of glass im using to make the dividing wall and the rockwool cubes im using to make the plant wall at the top. The section on the right will be a waterfall/trickling stream.

This shows the shape of the wall a little better

Here i have started the silicone from the inside of the land section

Top down view shows the land section much better

All the silicone finished around the land section and on the right you can see sort of what i am going to do with the water fall/trickling stream part

and another shot of the waterfall/stream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VaultBoy; 02-25-2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: title correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im still unsure as to what exactly im going to plant in here and still have not locked in any specific scaping ideas except that i will have MTS as a substrate capped with pool filter sand, and probably mostly a river pebble scape with bigger rocks on the right under the running water and getting smaller as they progress to the left

as far as animal inhabitants my 2 frogs are Eastern Banjo Frogs which are native to Australia, caught as tadpoles in a local stream and raised to frogs in my RCS tank with the aid of a floating piece of drift wood to live on top of, which is no longer suitable.

anything else that i put in here will most likely be native to australia making hopefully a fairly accurate australian biotope except that the frogs are only found in the south east of Oz and the plants and other fauna will all likely be from the far northern tropics... but thats close enough for me

Let me know what you think, any suggestions for build or stocking I look forward to reading your responses

Thanks for reading,
Jack

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

interesting, looking forward to more pictures as you progress.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I started today with mineralizing some topsoil... 1 last time i need to dry it then im done

I went for a walk today and gathered some river pebbles from the creek near my house, i scrubbed and boiled them so they are all ready to be used in the tank.

I spent ages trying to get these rocks to sit in a way i was happy with, then i ran out of silicone with just 3 rocks left to finish the waterfall

here is the rockwool cubes that i cut to size with a bread knife and stacked on a sheet of weedmat i then neatly folded the weedmat around the rockwool pieces and stitched it along the back to keep it secure.

and this is as far as i made it tonight have to get some more silicone hopefully in the morning and ill be nearly done and waiting for the silicone to cure

As far as the australian biotope goes i may stretch the rules a little for example we have native cardina species of shrimp just not any that i am particularly fond of so i may or may not substitute them for some CRS. and also i dont think i will find much suitable for the plant wall at any of my local native plant nurseries but it will be at least partly Australian native inspired

Now its time for bed before i fall asleep in my chair

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Time for and update, I have been busy and when i wasnt busy I was lazy. So i will start with the last of the pics of the build

Here you can see the drip tube that will run across the top of the plant wall to soak the rockwool. This is hooked to a small water feature pump which pumps approx 30 - 40 gpH through the rockwool pad which should work as an effective filter/growing medium.

The first leak test 24hrs and i didnt lose a drop, in fact i gained a few from the pigeons flying over head. Needless to say it was thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

The tank is now filled and partly planted, inhabited by 5 - 6 endlers fry 2 spotted marsh frog tadpoles and 2 eastern banjo frogs, which have only been seen once since i put them in about 10 days ago, turns out they are burrowing frogs and really good at hiding.

This is one of the Eastern Banjo frogs taken in another tank before it was introdced to this paludarium.
I have decided that a pure Australian biotope would limit me too much in my plant selection so I have taken a bit of creative liberty and am now going for an Australian Inspired scape.

All that work wasn't for nothing

this is how i see the tank in my lounge room, the bottom tank is an endlers / RCS breeding tank... its a bit of a pain to maintain due to the lack of arm room above, but it means i can fit another tank in the lounge so i am ok with it
Thanks for looking, comments and criticism welcomed
I'll try and get beck on here soon and add a few more pics so let me know if you want to see something in particular.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is looking sweet! Makes me want to start one of these. Good Job

Out of curiosity do you play Fallout at all? Asking b/c when I saw your name was VaultBoy it reminded me of Fallout right away. Esp being the Fallout fanatic that I am

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

(tore down)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Algae Grower

looking great
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

BradC Yes i am a BIG fallout fan, i have been playing since fallout 1, and you finally gave me the nudge i needed to change my avatar... i have been meaning to do that since i signed up.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
BradC Yes i am a BIG fallout fan, i have been playing since fallout 1, and you finally gave me the nudge i needed to change my avatar... i have been meaning to do that since i signed up.
Good to know!

I never played Fallout 1 or 2 but Fallout 3 is by far my favorite and most addicting game I own for the PC. I need to start playing Fallout New Vegas again. Fell out of playing it due to all this aquarium business

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

(tore down)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i bought a ps3 so i could play new vegas (coz my xbox died) i finished it in about 10 days and i have hardly touched it since... i have the same problem... my tanks stole all my time

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tank looks nice. Question though, why didn't you paint the white pvc? It detracts from the look of the tank. I would think that painting it black would make it blend in better. Or, if you are artistic, painting it in shades of brown to make it resemble a log would be neat.

Also, I don't really see a waterfall effect. You built the rocks up in the corner, and I was curious as to how you were going to make it work, but in your last pictures there doesn't seem to be any water dripping down there (actually, it appears that the water may be leaking out of the wrong side of the pipe...).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

im2smart4u: the white P.V.C. was a bit of an after thought and i was to impatient to wait for the paint to dry... im still not happy with the way the whole plant wall works/looks. I am thinking about building a glass box with an opening front to raise the roof of the tank a bit without letting my frogs out, and then re-designing the whole plant wall to be a little narrower (not the full width of the tank) and a bit sturdier so i can suspend it further above the land section (at the moment its held in with faith, hope and gravity and has fallen over once already) which will hopefully achieve the waterfall effect that i was talking about.

There is a trickle of water running down the "waterfall" but a lot of it does run out the wrong end of the pipe which is probably the biggest reason im not happy with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode