How do I set up the planted section of a riparium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I set up the planted section of a riparium?

I have a 150-gallon tank that is 48x24x30" tall. It's sitting empty right now but I've got a bunch of equipment ready for it: Giesemann T5 bulbs + lighting unit, Eheim canister filter, heater, seachem flourite soil. I want to set it up as a low-tech planted tank and riparium. Even though the tank is 30" tall, I won't be filling it up with water all the way, so that I can have space for the plants to grow out of the water while still being able to have a lid on the tank to help with humidity in the house.

The problem I'm having is figuring out the best way to have plants growing out of the water. My goal is to make sure that the tank isn't too difficult to clean, and, also, if a container is required for holding the plants that grow out of the water, then I don't want to be able to easily see an artificial container when I sit in front of the tank.

This tank is absolutely gorgeous, and is pretty much what I have in mind for my own tank:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...st-fringe.html

So, I guess my questions are along the lines of: what do I need to do to set up the structure of the tank so that I have a large water portion with fish and aquatic plants, the entirety of which can be easily cleaned, as well as plants growing out and above the surface of the water? Do I need containers for the land plants, and, if so, how do I make said containers not be visible to someone viewing the tank when they walk by it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That tank has a built in clear glass box at the back. But it's more common to use individual clear plastic planters. Generally the viewing angle and plant coverage means they disappear.

You can also use rafts, where you don't have any plant media or grow plants on wood or rocks that break the surface - that does limit your choice of plants more.

I'm planning a tank at the moment, and draft plans are to use a planted hang on back filter and/or hob breeder box. That way the plant holders are behind the aquarium background. It depends on the look you want though and that will set the plants back a bit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode