NEW TANK, help me avoid the common fails - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Ken Keating1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
NEW TANK, help me avoid the common fails

Hi guys, this is my first post on here so be nice! I am waiting for a 100cm x 40cm x 40cm braceless open tank to be delivered. I am so excited!! im looking to set up this tank the cheapest way whilst trying to make it look 'professional'. Currently I have a 5 gallon tank with a dwarf puffer planted with some anubias ( cant remember which ones) with drift wood. I recently been experiencing poor water parameters so I decided to add some house plant cuttings to grow out of the top. I have a cheese plant, 2 spider plants and a philodendron ivy thing (lol ) now Im aware these will get to big for the tank ( the cheese plant especially) so Im going to monitor and change when they get bigger. This has solved my water parameters straight away! Im so happy with it and it give me an idea! My house is like a jungle... I love house plants!!! But i have struggled to keep common aquarium plants like hairgrass ( got destroyed by brown algae!!! ( i think i have been lighting my tank too much and with the bad parameters I think that was also an issue) ). So I thought I would keep at what Im good at and try and incorporate that into this new hobby. so with hours of research i have decided to have like a riparium esk type tank. Im thinking sand floor, loads of twiggy driftwood for fish to swim through and then have [censored][censored][censored][censored] loads of house plants growing out of the water along the back.I kinda want it to look like drift wood is kinda like the roots of the plant. The more research I do the more crazier do my ideas get like having waterfalls etc NOw im thinking shall i do a biotope?

Many of you would have been in this position, starting out a new hobby and Im hoping you can give me some ideas of things to consider when running a tank like this. Low cost shortcuts, where to get a substantial piece of driftwood online ( not ebay I think i have looked at every single piece of driftwood on there!! ) what are the common fails with a set up like this. I cant even decide what lighting to use. I like pendant type spotlight lights like Kessil but those are super expensive and really £300+ for a light. That's a disgusting amount!!! Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? There seems to be more options for people based in america whilst I live in the UK. PLEase help I think my head is going to explode there are too many options and I need some direction to make sure Im not wasting money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to dmastin
I'd say first you might try to find a picture of a tank out there on the internets that you really like to sever as a goal and give people something to work with.
Then everybody could help you start working to get there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to dmastin
How about The Celestial Swamp?
As I was reading this thread I thought of you.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...st-fringe.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am absolutely in love with that tank. its much deeper than what i have but its almost exactly what im looking for. Although im considering having no plants in the water or if i do some anubias or java fern as im sick of killing plants and having to fish them out!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Arnold View Post
I am absolutely in love with that tank. its much deeper than what i have but its almost exactly what im looking for. Although im considering having no plants in the water or if i do some anubias or java fern as im sick of killing plants and having to fish them out!
If all your plants are dying but your fish seem to be doing well, it could very well be a lack of nutrients. Can you give some more details on the specs of you tank? Lighting, water parameters ect, ect.

My tanks:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
First important tip is don't keep records of the total amount that's been spent on the aquarium. Believe me, it much better not knowing!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
First important tip is don't keep records of the total amount that's been spent on the aquarium. Believe me, it much better not knowing!
Seconded. Also, if I may offer a suggestion - have you looked into finnex lights? That's what I've been using lately, and I've been seeing fairly impressive results!

My tanks:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[IMG][/IMG]

these are images that inspire me. I really like how the last one has no plants underneath and then have the plants above

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
Seconded. Also, if I may offer a suggestion - have you looked into finnex lights? That's what I've been using lately, and I've been seeing fairly impressive results!
they look good, do you have an idea of how i can mount them at a decent height im not too concerned about having plants underneath the water so its the plants above the water that will need the lights more. I still cannot decide what to do with the water level either. Having it below the top of the tank offers more light to the plants but then less water space. Im going to cycle the tank fishless and then decide on a fish that fits with the conditions i have designed so I haven't even started thinking about them yet!

Bump:
Quote:
they look good, do you have an idea of how i can mount them at a decent height im not too concerned about having plants underneath the water so its the plants above the water that will need the lights more. I still cannot decide what to do with the water level either. Having it below the top of the tank offers more light to the plants but then less water space. Im going to cycle the tank fishless and then decide on a fish that fits with the conditions i have designed so I haven't even started thinking about them yet!

Bump:
Quote:

Bump:
Quote:

Bump:
Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

god knows how i managed to post that reply a million times!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
This light might work well for you https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa.../dp/B00LIL7YPE
i dont have this particular model, but I'm planning to purchase one soon.

My tanks:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
This light might work well for you https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa.../dp/B00LIL7YPE
i dont have this particular model, but I'm planning to purchase one soon.
One light would be too small. 100cm long is my new tank. Do you reckon I will get away with 2?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
One light would be too small. 100cm long is my new tank. Do you reckon I will get away with 2?
Sorry, I was thinking you had a 5 gallon. Clearly the one i suggested is farrrrr to small.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C84SLRO...&pd_rd_w=lGLwZ

these lights have been getting decent reviews, and are obviously super affordable. Are they available in the U.K.?

My tanks:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode