peperomia obtusifolia and riparium planting. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
peperomia obtusifolia and riparium planting.

Anyone have experience growing this species emersed? I am wanting some surface veggitation for my aquarium and this has a nice look. Any experience with this species or tips would be appreciated, other species suggestions are also appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
The best kinds of plants to grow in ripariums are true marginal aquatics. These make the best representations of the riparian habitat and also adapt the best. Most Peperomia grow in trees, which is like the opposite of growing in the water. Some true marginal aquatics that more or less resemble this plant include Saururus, Echinodorus, Colocasia and Spathiphyllum. If you can give the setup some extra humidity (such as with a closed aquarium top), Anubias will also grow very well like a riparium plant.

Last edited by hydrophyte; 02-21-2018 at 03:01 AM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

Peperomia tends to be prone to root and stem rot when they get too wet. You can start cuttings in water, but they do much better when their roots have decent drainage.

-Just a frost bitten Canadian boy.
-I come off as a little....abrupt/blunt. It's not intentional.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
The best kinds of plants to grow in ripariums are true marginal aquatics. These make the best representations of the riparian habitat and also adapt the best. Most Peperomia grow in trees, which is like the opposite of growing in the water. Some true marginal aquatics that more or less resemble this plant include Saururus, Echinodorus, Colocasia and Spathiphyllum. If you can give the setup some extra humidity (such as with a closed aquarium top), Anubias will also grow very well like a riparium plant.
It was the 1ft of manzanita sticking out of the top of my tank that made me curious about the peperomia. I will definitely look into your suggestions. I cant up the humidity, this will be growing out of the top of the tank similar to a HOB style planting. My plan is to use a small shower caddy as a planter. Very open to suggesgions on arboreal planting for peperomia sp. as well. Thanks for the suggestions and consideration!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
As long as it's out of the water you can plant an epiphyte (tree-dwelling plant) like that. But a shower caddy will probably look bulky if it's just hanging there from the manzanita. A more natural way to plant an epiphyte would be to wrap a pad of sphagnum moss around the branch.

P. obtusifolia is kind of a big plant. There are other Peperomia with finer foliage that might look better with a smaller planting.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
As long as it's out of the water you can plant an epiphyte (tree-dwelling plant) like that. But a shower caddy will probably look bulky if it's just hanging there from the manzanita. A more natural way to plant an epiphyte would be to wrap a pad of sphagnum moss around the branch.

P. obtusifolia is kind of a big plant. There are other Peperomia with finer foliage that might look better with a smaller planting.
Hahaha the thought of the caddy on the manzanita. I plan to use the caddy covered in moss in the tank for marginal growth. I got some red wandering jew and maidens hair fern for that yesterday. The moss idea is cool, ill have to play around with a diy moss planter for a possible epiphyte arrangement.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@hydrophyte How did maidenshair fern do for you? I believe you tried it some time back? Im giving it a try myself. I used a sink caddy full of hydroton capped with 1 inch of fluval plant stratum. The caddy is wrapped in christmas moss (only the front where the large holes are) and Ive added wandering jew as well. There are also drainage holes underneath the caddy. I have it placed so the surface is just above water line and there is good flow all around it. Ill have to find another way to post photos, the forum is giving me trouble atm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode