Paludarium "Crabitat" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Paludarium "Crabitat"

Hey, all!

I'm in the early planning phases of a little project that will eventually house vampire crabs. I'm hoping to breed them -- they apparently breed easily and are a fully freshwater crab, unlike a lot of crabs that thrive in brackish conditions -- and sell the babies to my LFS.

I currently have a 29 gallon tank that will replace my 20L (the endler inhabitants of that tank will be joining my half-stocked 50g community tank). I plan to have a ~5" deep water feature at one end (probably 2.5-3 gallons worth of water). I haven't decided upon whether I would have fish, or not. The other end of the tank I plan to cover in a lot of moss (vampire crabs LOVE java and I have some in my 50g), some plants, wood, rocks, and a waterfall of some sort, with the plumbing and power cords running behind a 3D background.

This is where I'm unsure of how to proceed, in terms of a sort of creek bed. I need to have some sort of non-toxic waterproof liner in a trench from the top of the water output, down to the water feature. Am I looking for something like pond liner (covered in rocks to obscure the liner)? Does anyone sell smaller sheets of this stuff. I think the cheapest liner I saw was 7x7' and ~$30.

I hope to start building in the next few weeks and will update with photos as I start making progress.

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomy View Post
...Am I looking for something like pond liner (covered in rocks to obscure the liner)? Does anyone sell smaller sheets of this stuff. I think the cheapest liner I saw was 7x7' and ~$30.

I hope to start building in the next few weeks and will update with photos as I start making progress.
This sounds awesome, will be looking out for the build

As far as smaller pieces, if you have a pond center, or any local pond installers I'd give them a call and see if they have any scrap pieces to give. Their trash is the Crabitat's treasure. Seems most pond people would share an interest in aquarium things, and be happy to kick down some scrap material. Mind you that stuff comes on large rolls, so a scrap piece to an installer would likely be like 12' (or length of the roll) by a foot or two
just a thought...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
This sounds awesome, will be looking out for the build

As far as smaller pieces, if you have a pond center, or any local pond installers I'd give them a call and see if they have any scrap pieces to give. Their trash is the Crabitat's treasure. Seems most pond people would share an interest in aquarium things, and be happy to kick down some scrap material. Mind you that stuff comes on large rolls, so a scrap piece to an installer would likely be like 12' (or length of the roll) by a foot or two
just a thought...
That's a great idea!

Fluval 406 filter
DBP 20g long - low tech

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Personally I would go with a egg crate skeleton covered in pond foam. I had a similar idea when I made my palu for vampires (actually the exact same idea) went with the pond foam and was very glad I did. (You can see my build journal in my signature to see what I am talking about.

If you still decide to go with pond liner I bought a 5' X 5' sheet I never used that I will sell ya for cheap.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Personally I would go with a egg crate skeleton covered in pond foam. I had a similar idea when I made my palu for vampires (actually the exact same idea) went with the pond foam and was very glad I did. (You can see my build journal in my signature to see what I am talking about.

If you still decide to go with pond liner I bought a 5' X 5' sheet I never used that I will sell ya for cheap.
Oh, that thread is amazing...wow. I can't wait to see what you do next. I'm still brain-storming what I want to accomplish and how to do it. How many gallons do you estimate the water portion of your set-up was? I think mine will only end up being in the 3-5 gallon range.

Fluval 406 filter
DBP 20g long - low tech
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
It has ~ 25 gallons so quite a bit more. Lucky for you the crabs don't need much water at all in their setups.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode