Rescaping my 30g Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescaping my 30g Riparium

Hello,
Im Aaron from Germany,
I registered myself here because I think this Forum has a great Riparium-Coomunity

I have a 30g Riparium with Dwarf Puffers, Hara jerdonis and different Kuhlis.
Its planted with Mentha Aquatica, Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Elodea, Hippuris Vulgaris, Hydrocotyle verticillata, Nymphea lotus, Lysimachia nummularia, Duckweed, Suesswassertang and Sarracenia Purpurea (comes into our garden in spring). The hardscape consists of roots (put together like a tree stump to cover the plant pot for the Sarracenia and Hydrocotyle) some small pieces of wood and boughs.
Its really a mess at the moment and I want to rescape it.

The plan is to put a long plastic flower pot at the end of the tank and fill it with gravel. The pot is going to be emerged with about an inch of water over it. For water circulation I want to put small holes in the pot. To Cover the pot I want to use the Roots and River Stones. I want to plant it with Mentha Aquatica, Hippuris Vulgaris, Equisetum Variegatum, Hydrocotyle verticillata, Echinodorus bleheri or argentinensis (sits already in the tank) lobelia cardinals (sits in the tank too) or a some kind of carnivorous plants and other (and maybe Cryptocoryne wendtii).
Submerged I want Cryptocoryne wendtii (between the stones), Elodea (free floating), Nymphea Lotus (in the Sand), Lysimachia nummularia (in the Sand) and Hippuris Vulgaris (growing out of the Water at some points, planted in the Sand).

And now my Questions:
1. Which alternative is there to the flower pot, because its very wide and I loose lots of space (Riparium planters arent available in Germany and I dont want to use the shower things (forgot the name) because of the chemical ingredients which might be in there)?
2. Which plants could I use for the pot (maybe something with bigger leaves, different colors as a contrast)?
3. Has anybody made experiences with carnivorous plants? Which can I use in a Riparium setup?

Foto:
https://m.imgur.com/a/qP0dJ (How do I upload it?)

T. Hanks for reading
Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have 6 of the shower baskets in one of my aquariums and breed angelfish in it, so I my anecdotal evidence shows they're ok.

I have a couple of silverware baskets from the dollar store that might work. They're about 10 inches long, 2 inches wide and 2 inches deep with vertical slots down the side. Only downside is they're painted blue. This photo is not them but looks similar:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
I have 6 of the shower baskets in one of my aquariums and breed angelfish in it, so I my anecdotal evidence shows they're ok.

I have a couple of silverware baskets from the dollar store that might work. They're about 10 inches long, 2 inches wide and 2 inches deep with vertical slots down the side. Only downside is they're painted blue. This photo is not them but looks similar:

I looked it up and they are pretty expensive here (ca.10) for one.
I think I am going to work with these one: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01AJM1XGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ougEAbFRK7NZB
With these I can make it very modular and fulfill special needs for different plants.
But thanks for the answer

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm having a bit of difficulty visualizing your proposed set-up, could you potentially post a drawing/diagram of your intent?

Regarding carnivorous plants. Most familiar CPs do well with saturated soil but NOT emersed long term. However, there are a few species of Sarracenia that can fit this scenario - particularly S. psittacina and S. minor. Both of these species grow in particularly wet environments. Often times the crown is submerged. I have seen wild populations of S. minor growing on floating mats of vegetaion/dead reeds in the Okeefenokee Swamp. Likewise, the wet pine savannas of the Gulf Coast Plains become seaso ally inundated much like the South American llanos. S. psittacina (as well as Drosera, Pinguicula, and terrestrial Utricularia) experiences weeks of total submersion at a time in these ecosystems.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://m.imgur.com/a/qmwn The pots are going to be in the shaded area and the roots and stones are there to cover them up. With multiple small pots Ive got the possibility to use different substrates and heights (so some are never submersed). The height of the water is between 6,5 and 8 inches. The size of the tank is 31,5 inch x 15,75 inch

I already found some plants: S. Psittacina, Drosera (already got suggested certain species but I dont know where to get them) and Utricularia ( But I didnt Inform myself in which species are fitting)
What do you think?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Cape sundew (Drosera capensis), D. capillaris. Pinguicula primuliflora is a good candidate as well. I have seen this species growing submerged in creeks in the Apilachicola State Park in the FL panhandle. It also has a tendency to proliferate vegetativley by daughter plants. Two terrestrial species of Utricularia, (U.graminae, and U. subulata) lend themselves to emersed culture well. The former is readily available in aquaria culture. Aldrovanda vesiculosa is the fully aquatic cousin of venus fly traps. There are populations of this species from SE Asia that do not require dormancy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you
So my favorites are now: Sarracenia psittacina and Drosera capensis/capillaries.
About Utricularia Im not sure bc they dont look this impressive and between the other plants i dont think its going to come to its own. How often do they flower?

Bump: Can Ultricularia grow as an epiphyte?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

D. capilaris flowers fairly consistently without any special conditions. U. subulata will bloom too, but if conditions are not ideal they produce cleistogamous flowers (self pollinating) which is good as this species will produce both sexually and asexually. Both of these Utricularia CAN grow epiphytically, though it is not in their nature.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I use moss to cover the substrate for the carnivores, can I use any moss from the outside or does it have to be special moor-moss?
And can I use normal Gravel as an substrate for the non-canivorous plants, so theres water circulation and the roots suck the nutrients out of the water?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

The moss itself need not be any particular species (though many temperate moss species require distinct cool and warm seasons). The main factor regarding the CPs is to ensure a fairly acidic substrate, and low or no nutrient water. Possibly not the best growing conditions for some plant species. Gravel will be fine, that is really more asthetic than anything else in your case. However, you may also opt for any another type of substrate as well.

Edit: Do remember that most CPs occur in open marsh/grassland habitats, that is full sun most of the day all year round. So, try to keep the CPs in unobstructed light. That being said, S. psittacina is a fairly prostrate (flattened growth habit) rosette forming species. It will not require as much light as the upright rhizomatous Sarracenia species, but will still need unobstructed high output artificial lighting.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I want to put the pots with the Canivorous plants in front of the other pots so they are more outstanding.
The pots with CPs are going to be filled with mixed sand and peat.

Iwant to cover the pots/substrate with Hydrocotyle and moss so it breaks up the squares.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode