Good vivarium plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good vivarium plants

Hello all! I am interested in setting up a 20H vivarium sometime in the next few months and wanted suggestions as to plants to put in it. I was planning on a Calathea sp., but other suggestions - especially blooming suggestions - would be lovely. Thanks! (PS...do you solely add water through misting once or twice a day, or do you need to water the plants as well? Especially epiphytes like orchids and bromeliads?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If the soil is well drained members of Gesneriaceae are great viv candidates that bloom frequently. The most familiar, and most available, gesnariads would be african violets. Aescylus(sp?) is a genus of epyphitic gesnd. that are pretty common at big box garden centers. Tilandsias and Broms will bloom without much effort as well. The good thing about these is that you can keep them in an open air set-up.

Water bi-weekly and mist daily.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Popping-in to keep tabs on recommendations. I am doing something similar in a 29g tank. Eventually it will be a crabitat for vampire crabs. I have a rough idea what the end result will look like, but still don't have much of a plan for what I will plant, aside from peacock fern, java fern, and java moss...and perhaps some lichen.

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
If the soil is well drained members of Gesneriaceae are great viv candidates that bloom frequently. The most familiar, and most available, gesnariads would be african violets. Aescylus(sp?) is a genus of epyphitic gesnd. that are pretty common at big box garden centers.
Something I've wondered about the flowers available at any garden center is the pesticide issue. Don't most garden centers offer stuff that's been treated, assuming that people are placing them in an outdoor garden or keeping as a potted specimen? I'm guessing that wouldn't be compatible with little living critters. How does one find plants that aren't treated with pesticides/herbicides? Are they typically marked? I've never paid real close attention, since everything I've bought has been for outdoors (I can't do plants in the house -- aside from what's submerged in my aquariums -- because cats are jerks).

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode