First viv for King Snake. Drainage Layer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking First viv for King Snake. Drainage Layer?

Hello~
I have just set up a 36 gal long tank for my King Snake. It's pretty low tech right now, but I have plans to improve it once I can save up. It was kind of an emergency set up (rescued the snake from my neighbor's son) turned obsession xD

Right now, I have an LED light screwed into a dome above the tank. I know it's not much, but I only have pothos growing right now and ambient light from my window has kept it happy above his old tank for some time, so I think it should be okay?
The substrate is a mix I made with some sphagnum moss, orchid chips, eco earth, and some organic soil.
I plan on keeping the tank relatively dry (50% humidity?) and was wondering if it would be crazy if I tried to get away without a drainage layer for a while? My little dude likes to burrow, so I figure the substrate gets a bit of air that way? I've also been looking into clean up crews.
Any advice would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
This site gives a general idea of the care a king snake needs: California Kingsnake Care Sheet

In particular, it gives this passage about humidity: "Provide fresh water in a bowl that is deep enough that when the bowl is half filled and the snake goes in to soak, the water will not overflow into the cage. You want a dry cage. If the humidity increases in the cage to where it looks or feels moist, remove the water and only offer it a couple days a week. Clean the water bowl as needed."

I hope it helps you with your creativity!

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, ValMM
I was actually more curious about the necessity of a drainage layer in said dry tank?
I've already decided that I will put a drainage layer in asap, at least to prevent hassle in the long run. I've set up some little closed jar terrariums in the past so I do know it has an important purpose.
Just wanted to know if it's really necessary in this situation or if I can go without it for a week or two until I come across a proper bag of gravel or something to use xD Any tips on a cheap source of drainage layer material would be much appreaciated as well! Haha, budget setup!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
What about poultry grit? A 16oz bag can be about $5 from the tractor supply store. It's made out of things like oyster shells, limestone chips and charcoal. If you're going to put live plants in there, they might like it as well.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
drainage, snake, terrarium, vivarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode