Paludarium water level - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By thedudeabides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Paludarium water level

I am the planning stages of upgrading my paludarium.

To anyone interested in checking out the old paludarium and seeing the dimensions/design of the tank here is a link:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...lantarium.html

So the front pane of glass is 18" tall and the back is 28" I would like to use the rule of thirds and either have it 1/3 or 2/3 full. It seems like most paludarium layouts have a shallow water area and this seems to lend itself to a more dramatic design (Although I have never been one to not go against the grain).

I am planning or having a sump that will hold at least 5 additional gallons of water. Using the rule of thirds based on the front pane of glass I would either have 6" or 12" of water, given the tanks dimensions (36" L X 20" W) this would give me either ~ 24 gallons or 42.5 gallons. Using the back pane of glass I would only have it filled 1/3 with water and that would be 9" and would give me ~ 33 gallons.

I am torn because I want to make the most dramatic scape possible but also like to have a good quantity of fish (although when it comes down to it the scape will come first.)

The question I have are:

1. Perspective wise and given the unique shape of the tank would it be best to apply the rule of thirds to the front or back pane of glass? (I think I already know the answer to this and it's the front pane but would like to hear others input)

2. Is the general consensus that a paludarium with a shallow water portion makes for a more dramatic scape?

3. Does this post make sense to anyone other than me?

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
I am the planning stages of upgrading my paludarium.

It seems like most paludarium layouts have a shallow water area and this seems to lend itself to a more dramatic design (Although I have never been one to not go against the grain).

I am torn because I want to make the most dramatic scape possible but also like to have a good quantity of fish (although when it comes down to it the scape will come first.)

The question I have are:

1. Perspective wise and given the unique shape of the tank would it be best to apply the rule of thirds to the front or back pane of glass? (I think I already know the answer to this and it's the front pane but would like to hear others input)

2. Is the general consensus that a paludarium with a shallow water portion makes for a more dramatic scape?

3. Does this post make sense to anyone other than me?
First and foremost: I've enjoyed reading (and seeing) the transformation of your 65 paludarium (from when you initially started your journal to the present)... a beautiful set-up with a very nice array of flora/fauna.

I think your first two questions [#3 definitely makes sense to me] are going to be more dependent on 'the eye of the beholder' and ultimately *your eye*, along with your creativeness (and depending on what type of fauna you decide to keep in the water portion). Question for you: in post #114 of your journal, the full tank shot looks like the water portion is about 1/2 volume? To 'my eye' your scape in that photo looks pretty 'darn' dramatic.

As to the shallower water depths & the rule of thirds ~ it all depends on your creativity and what you are 'able' or 'unable' to accomplish (..."I want to make the most dramatic scape possible, and would also like to have a good quantity of fish, although when it comes down to it, the scape will come first"). Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box or "going against the grain". Some of the best set-ups (IMO) come from doing so. Looking forward to seeing your future upgrades.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for taking the time to check it out and the kind words!

The current layout has around 8" to 9" of water depending on how long it been since a water change. So yes around half the volume. I want to kinda change things up from the last one and am leaning towards a 6" water line. This will leave me with less volume. I am planing on going with nano fish even still there are so many cool choices out there I have trouble narrowing it down (I have never been the throw in a school of rummy nosed tetras and call it a day kinda guy).

What I am trying to accomplish is a mix of nature aquarium principles and terrarium building guidelines (it's just that easy right). The concept will be basically to have an Iwagumi style rock formation that is only partially submerged. One thing that bugs me about this current scape is everything is straight up and down. I feel that having the rocks at differing angles and having various layers to them will greatly improve the impact of this paludarium.
wastewater and wastewater like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Like the previous version! Makes me want to set one up even more now!!!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have any advice, but I love your journal and will be following this one closely. I've set up a couple containers to grow some trimmings emersed in preparation

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks yeah I am really looking forward to this but still have some more research to do before I take the plunge as I am going to try a lot of new things with this one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode