biofilm explosion + mold on emersed wood -- slime city! :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
biofilm explosion + mold on emersed wood -- slime city! :(

i recently set up my first riparium. apparently the wood i chose was not cured properly because i am having a huge biofilm bloom. everything i've read and everyone i've talked to says not to worry about it, that it will go away eventually and is not harmful to the fauna. this must be true because the fish are behaving and eating normally...and the shrimp seem to be loving it. i can deal with a slimy tank as long as it truly will go away eventually... but my big concern is now i am seeing mold growth on a part of the wood that is sticking up out of the water. has anyone ever had to deal with something like this before?

if i need to include more information about my setup please let me know. i just didn't want to write out a novel of a post and scare everyone off at first glance. attached is a picture of the mold on the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	805202  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Algae Grower

Do you know what kind of wood it is you're using? Wood that is less dense (like grapewood) will rot away more quickly than something like mopani or manzanita wood. If the wood still has bark on it, that bark will mold up and decay very quickly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygropunk View Post
Do you know what kind of wood it is you're using? Wood that is less dense (like grapewood) will rot away more quickly than something like mopani or manzanita wood. If the wood still has bark on it, that bark will mold up and decay very quickly.
No I donít sorry. It is soft, itís not hard like manzanita. And I didnít scrape the bark off before submerging it. Iím pretty new at all this. Most of the slime/algae stuff has cleared up. Iíve been keeping the mold on the emersed part at bay by wiping it down with a paper towel that Iíve sprayed vinegar on. Would it be wise to just take the whole thing out? Iíve been holding out in the hopes that everything will clear up but if itís just going to keep polluting the tank Iíll take it out. All the livestock are totally fine and the tank is cycling normally.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Algae Grower

Not sure where you got the wood from, but I would take it out. If it's a soft wood, AND it still has bark on it, it's going to continue to mold and give off biofilm until it rots away. There's a reason why most people use woods like manzanita, mopani, malaysian driftwood etc. - they're all very dense and can last a (relatively) long time underwater. Regardless of what you use, if it's got bark on it, that bark is going to slough off one way or another and look gross doing it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode