LEDs in clamp fixtures? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LEDs in clamp fixtures?

Hello,

Painfully dumb newbie here. I've been keeping a 10g planted tank with a lot of success since spring and now I'd like to try a riparium. I've had the following plants growing either in potting soil constantly moist or simply rooted in water and only receiving ambient light from my bedroom window (room faces south and gets good light) for several weeks and they have been doing fine so I am confident they will take to the riparium style without much trouble:

Anthurium
Syngonium
Alocasia

Not sure of the species names, only genus. I will also be adding a ligularia but I'm not sure if it will work. I'll let you know!

Since the emersed plants seem to be doing ok with ambient light I'm more curious about what kind of light I'll need for the immersed plants. I have myriophyllum, amazon sword, blyxa japonica, corkscrew vallisnera, and nymphaea lotus to add. I was thinking of purchasing two led bulbs and two clamp fixtures such as this:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...rs-clamp-lamps

However, the details on that clamp fixture says to only use with incandescent or ceramic heating bulbs. Are there clamp fixtures that can be used with leds? From your experience, what type of lighting works best for both emersed and immersed plants? I have been searching past threads for advice but tbh my head is spinnng

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Algae Grower

First confirm with petco what is the bulb base fitted on that clamp. Household incandescent bulbs are usually E27 in my place. Just search amazon for an E27 LED bulb (if the clamp is also E27).

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/OUYIDE-Equiva...led+6500k+bulb
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsin21 View Post
First confirm with petco what is the bulb base fitted on that clamp. Household incandescent bulbs are usually E27 in my place. Just search amazon for an E27 LED bulb (if the clamp is also E27).

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/OUYIDE-Equiva...led+6500k+bulb

Thank you. This will point me in the right direction. There is so much to learn about lighting..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is certainly one of the biggest questions so not problem if is confusing. Read a few posts and you find most still have lots of questions and the answers are constantly changing!!
But on the clamp light, it is not necessary to have any special bulb for those lights--as long as it screws in and isn't too terribly hot so that it melts something.
And that brings around some suggestions. One is that LED run much cooler for the amount of light they put out. That light is rated to use up to a 150 watt bulb that can fry an egg at fifty feet! They do really use them to keep turtles, etc. warm.
But LED come more in 10 watt and I doubt that you can even buy one for 150 watt. Street lights, maybe? So feel free to use most any bulb you choose.
Second thought is that light may be way more expensive than needed. You may have reasons for choosing that like appearance, etc. but for value, this might be the same light:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayco-Incan...-Light/3122291
For a ten, there may also be some real value in looking at CFL (twisty) bulbs as they are now be put out of use by LED. If you run across a tub full of CFL that put out light rated at 6500K (Kelvin) , they can sometimes be found for free. They work fine and all lighting does often take some looking and playing up and down before we settle on the best. For lighting, I love staying flexible and cheap with fixtures like this as it makes it simple to adjust with only needing to screw in more or different bulbs.
The old "gooseneck" floor lamps are real handy and cheap way to get something that moves up and down easy until you figure out how much and how close. I can find them for $3-10 at Goodwill.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It is certainly one of the biggest questions so not problem if is confusing. Read a few posts and you find most still have lots of questions and the answers are constantly changing!!

But on the clamp light, it is not necessary to have any special bulb for those lights--as long as it screws in and isn't too terribly hot so that it melts something.

And that brings around some suggestions. One is that LED run much cooler for the amount of light they put out. That light is rated to use up to a 150 watt bulb that can fry an egg at fifty feet! They do really use them to keep turtles, etc. warm.

But LED come more in 10 watt and I doubt that you can even buy one for 150 watt. Street lights, maybe? So feel free to use most any bulb you choose.

Second thought is that light may be way more expensive than needed. You may have reasons for choosing that like appearance, etc. but for value, this might be the same light:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bayco-Incan...-Light/3122291

For a ten, there may also be some real value in looking at CFL (twisty) bulbs as they are now be put out of use by LED. If you run across a tub full of CFL that put out light rated at 6500K (Kelvin) , they can sometimes be found for free. They work fine and all lighting does often take some looking and playing up and down before we settle on the best. For lighting, I love staying flexible and cheap with fixtures like this as it makes it simple to adjust with only needing to screw in more or different bulbs.

The old "gooseneck" floor lamps are real handy and cheap way to get something that moves up and down easy until you figure out how much and how close. I can find them for $3-10 at Goodwill.

Thank you! This is very helpful! Itís all one big experiment for me and I do like trying to source things as cheap as possible. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive been liking my LED flood. 6500k can be found from 10w to 600w+ . I used a 50w on a 15 gallon column with great results and Im switching to a 150w this week for my 60 cube.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode