yet another carnivorous plant thread.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
yet another carnivorous plant thread....

and yes...lego helped rekindle this hobby for me again....so shoutouts to him...

the neps:
hamata

aristolochioides

ventricosa

dubia

tenuis

jacqulineae

burbidgeae

jamban

platychila

the ceph

heliamphora minor

the dews:
falconeri

ordensis

diliatato-petiolaris

paradoxa

lanata

Last edited by amphirion; 11-03-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
wow.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
not to be redundant, but, WOW!

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Is that N. ventricosa the Porcelain clone/ true species I gave you? That intermediate pitcher is already showing some of the characteristic fluting in the peristome and you can see how the peristome is starting to become more horizontal rather than curling backward.

When it produces true uppers and the conditions are optimal it will be pretty much a solid creamy white color.

I miss my CP hobby... I was a Nepenthes and Sarracenia snob. I don't have room in college or the conditions for them Thats why I'm taking a break and trying planted aquaria now.

Sorry to hijack!

Efhipimp # 428!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yup. it is! i didnt know that those were intermediate pitchers growing there. i assumed they were the lower ones.

oh and here were some shots of some abnormal pigmentation i was mentioning to you about:

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Ummmm....for a 3rd time, WOW!

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Woot! Nice collection man! Out of total curiosity, how much did you have to shell out for that Nep. jamban? I've never seen that one go for less than 3 digits.

If you ever take cuttings or get some basal shoots from any of your Neps, hit me up. The only tropicals I've got at the moment are N. ventricosa and N. sanguinea at this point, and I want more!

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try

Last edited by legomaniac89; 10-29-2010 at 12:14 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You have a very nice collection going there. How are you keeping all of them? Do you have a greenhouse?

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks everyone!

@jerry: i currently grow them all in different conditions. the neps, helis, and cephs all grow in a highland terra on my window shelf which helps regulate the temps. the drosera are in a lowland tank. all grown on t5s.

@lego: yeah, the jamban cost me a pretty penny--112 or 120 if you wanted to get specific, cant remember, it's was about a year ago. got it as a birthday present. i'll keep you in mind---i've already promised a basal to someone else, and i want to keep the other one, but if it keeps making basals, i'll pm you.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like they said, "WOW" those are some really nice plants. Love those Sundews! Like fourth of July!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a couple more pictures:
Heliamphora sarraceinioides

Pinguicula agnata 'blue flower'
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to allegoriest
...I'm going to admit, I have no idea what it is. But that last one, Pinguicula agnata. It's so beautiful. And I want one. And I can't have one, because I know I'd kill it.
I can't even grow a venus flytrap, no.

....Do you have to hand feed them? (Yeah, you can't tell I wandered in here and got lost.)
Those are so awesome.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@allegoriest: it's called a butterwort. this species originates from Mexico, and can be grown as a tropical plant. bright but not direct light, grown in damp but not waterlogged conditions. and i do hand feed my plants (more with like tweezers) since there arent many bugs inside the house. there's a sporadic supply of fungus gnats, but not enough to keep the plants happy.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegoriest View Post
...I'm going to admit, I have no idea what it is. But that last one, Pinguicula agnata. It's so beautiful. And I want one. And I can't have one, because I know I'd kill it.
I can't even grow a venus flytrap, no.

....Do you have to hand feed them? (Yeah, you can't tell I wandered in here and got lost.)
Those are so awesome.
Just like allegoriest I stumbled upon the wrong forum section and found this thread. I am very glad I did because I did not see this whole other world of plants! I did not know that there were more carnivorous plants past the venus flytrap. I think some of these guys were the inspiration for pokemon like weepinbell and victreebel

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I'll be looking into carnivorous plants for the future. Very cool.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Algae Grower

Where did you get all the amazing Nepenth? They all look so great! I have N. alata and N. miranda. I bought the miranda while in FL. Now that I have brought it back to VA, it's not growing pitchers. It seems to have stopped growing; just staying the way it was (minus the old pitchers). I have moved both to a humidity tray. Is there anything that would cause the delay in growth? They are both indoors (and like I said, now on a humidity tray with artificial light). Thanks!

It's all about the attitude!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode