[Planning Stage] My first Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
[Planning Stage] My first Paludarium

8 months since I started with the hobby with my 65g planted aquarium, and now I am planning for my 2nd one, and I am looking to build a Paludarium.

Everything is still in the planning stage, I would like to take my time starting this, to make sure everything will be flawless. For now, this is what I have in mind, please feel free to criticize, suggest, or comment. I am open for everything since this is will be my 1st attempt:

Tank:
Long and shallow rimless tank with dimensions: 30" long, 9" high, and 16" wide (20-ish gal)
65% water, 35% land.
Water will be 8" deep, and highest land area will go maybe 2" past the height of the tank.

Land Plants: Bacopa Monneiri and Hydrocotyle V. right at the edge of the water; and let them scatter both in water and on land (these came from my planted tank, I am now growing some in a pot). Some kind of fern as the main terrestrial plant, and then moss to cover some rocks, wood, and land area. Aquatic plants still to be determined when I decide on my aquascape...

Aquascape: I am still thinking whether to make a hill-stream environment by using gravel, sand, and round stones, OR a peat swamp/black water type of environment using leaf litter, twigs, and roots/driftwood. Any suggestions, or things to consider on this?

Stock: Again, will depend if I make my water area be a hill stream or a peat swamp/blackwater - but considering my water will only be 8" deep, what stock will work well with my setup?
For a river-like: I am thinking of small danio or minnow species, and a few panda garra, or hillstream loach..
For a peat swamp/black water: thinking of some Sparkling Gourami or a Choco gourami, and then Kuhli Loaches..

Lighting: I have no idea with this one. My previous experience is keeping a planted tank right beside a window, this time, I am setting up this paludarium inside my window-less room. What's the minimum lighting I need to have?

Aeration, filter & water circulation: Again, need help with this, my first tank is super low tech and only running a single sponge filter. I want to stay minimal with equipment on this Paludarium as well.. but I am wondering what can I use to suck water and direct it to release on land to form a miniature stream? This way, I hope the terrestrial plants will get their water needs, at the same time act as natural filter and be part of the cycle.

Responses will be appreciated Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
low cost, low maintenance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I have both a lower congo-like whitewater and a peat bog Blackwater. Something to consider is the low nutrient content of a sphagnum bog. Carnivorous plants would be ideal for the terrestrial section of this type of setup. Here's a progression of mine. It's been running for about a year now. Currently stocking khulis and baby pumpkinseeds but I've had a number of different things in there. Ember tetras did well in there for a bit. Also various dwarf ciclids. Lots of breeding

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode