New Paludarium Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Paludarium Build

Its been a while since I thought about building a new tank. I've been quite satisfied with my current setup for my cuban knight anole, he's got so much well planted space that there are plenty of times when I have company over and they ask me why I have a fish tank with nothing but plants in it and think I'm pulling their leg when I say theres an 18" lizard in there.

Welp I got bit by the bug again. I built my son an in the wall african cichlid tank and went the absolutely insane route of trying to make it a planted tank. It was so beautiful. The contrast of green plants to sand, sea shells and tufa rock was amazing. Was even more amazing when the plants didnt die and the cichlids didnt dig em up. But then the algae came, and I learned the hard way that fresh water algae grows a million times worse when it is in high ph water. So I tore that down and put the cichlids in a pond.

I saw that petco was having there $1/gal sale again so I bought a second 29 gal. Im going to take the back glass of each of them and stand them up on their narrow side and silicone them together like that so I will have a 30x30x18 tank (using a 6" piece material on the *new* bottom to bring the 2x 12" pieces of glass to 30" and the top will have that 6" open for ventilation)

I have the specifics of the tank build all figured out, including new bracing and a combination of plywood and epoxy to compensate for the bottom being structurally weak due to being 3 different pieces of glass.

What I cant figure out is.. What should I put in it. The water portion will be 8-10" deep (depending on the habits of what ever animals I decide to put in it) leaving atleast 30x20x18 worth of land, rockwall and branches.

Its been a long time since I've done research into what animals to get and it seems there are a lot more species available than I remember there being 10 years ago so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like a fun project

Got any picture?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode