Emersed Iwagumi setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
PK1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emersed Iwagumi setup

Hi folks,

I've been around fish tanks since I was a kid and In the last 10-15 years I've done a number of planted tanks, both high tech and low tech, and I was starting a new project for the newly finished basement of our old house (with the perfect nook for a tank, and built in water and drain right next to it) but before I could set things up we packed up and moved to TX where there are no basements . Long story short, I've been looking at this in my home office for the past couple of years:

It is a 33 gallon Mr. Aqua which I had just finished drilling for the sump filter, painted the rear pane, and had a stand custom built for it. It was going to be an Iwagumi setup and I had bought everything I needed for it, including an LED light (buildmyled) with a dimmer, CO2, rocks, ADA Aquasoil, etc. Essentially I have everything I need to set this up except plants and fish, but I have very little time to take care of a tank these days which is why I haven't set it up yet. I travel a lot and don't want to spend part of a weekend day changing water, pruning, etc.

I was getting ready to put everything up for sale, but thought maybe a Paludarium would be an option since it has to be low maintenance, right? Since I know absolutely nothing about Paludariums I started reading up a little and found out that they are actually quite a lot of work to build and maintain, so that's out of the picture. The other thought that I had was, how about an emersed Iwagumi setup? I knew how to grow a lush carpet of HC in a planted tank, and I have also grown them emersed in the past for a limited amount of time and know about potential mold and fungus issues, so I know the issues that could arise with something like that, as well as flies, etc. if I have no insect eating creatures in it. But hey, if it's feasible, I have everything I need for it!

I'm posting this in the hopes of getting some suggestions and advice on this project. Can I use what I already have to make a low maintenance Terra/Paluda/Viva/Ripa/rium set up? Is the Iwagumi suggestion viable and sustainable over the long run?

I read the other thread from earlier this year in this forum where someone had grown an emersed setup in a 10g tank but that was only over the course of a few months so I'm not sure how sustainable and manageable this type of setup is over time.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a very low maintenance Hi tech. Water changes every 2 weeks, dosing 1/6th EI, 20 ish ppm Co2, never clean my glass, rocks etc. I have slow growing plants that need very little maintenance : Eleocharis Acicularis sp Mini (Dwarf hairgrass) I cut it about once every 2 months (this is 2 months worth since the last cut down to 3/4"), Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' I cut down every 2 weeks, Anubius nana petite which you may not see in the pic as I only have a couple but will be growing them out and splitting. Vesicularia Dubyana sp Christmas (Christmas moss) I trim this every 2-3 weeks. All of these plants can be grown emersed and I purchased mine grown emersed with the exception of Anubis

I keep amano shrimp, RCS, otocinclus and nerites for my clean up crew and also have 30 celestial pearl danios.

I think the key is finding plants that are slower growing and will allow you enough time for upkeep.

Excuse the terrible quality pic. I am removing the AR mini from the waterfall and replacing with something else, just not sure yet.

Added: This is not Iwagumi but the plants are often used in them.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170626_212155.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	767905  

Last edited by Dman911; 06-27-2017 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Added
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
PK1
Algae Grower

Nice tank! It's good to have something that's established and keeps humming along.

My challenge is that due to my extensive travel schedule, any upkeep needs to be on weekends only. I'm not around to feed, dose or anything like that during the week. In the past I've had dosing pumps, but found them more problematic than they were worth. Also, where the tank is currently located water changes would be difficult given the distance from a tap I could use unless I use buckets, not something I want to do.

It's also the challenge of trying an emersed setup...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode