New to floating pots - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
New to floating pots

Yesterday I went to the hardware store in an attempt to find a good floating material. I came back with what the associate called neoprene foam. From what I read, the small bubbles in the neoprene are individually enclosed and the material gives when pressure makes the nitrogen gas inside contract. If this is true, they should remain buoyant. Since they make waders out of the material, I am assuming this will work.

I cut out a few pieces, made floating water pots, and filled them with expanded clay and plants.

Do you think the pots will remain floating in the long run and under a heavier load? If so, I can cut them back to make doughnut floaters like the pot on the left. This will allow more light to my immersed plants and be more aesthetically pleasing.

I am using water pots from a local hydroponics store. The vents are quite large, making finer soil difficult. Do you think I need to provide a finer substrate with more nutrients? I'm guessing it also depends on the type of plant. I do have some pantyhose left over from making my 20g shrimp safe...

Eventually I want to add more color. Any suggestions for low humidity plants and sources to purchase them?

I'm sure I can learn quite a bit from this experiment, but a little head start would be nice. Any other advice you can add would be great. In the meantime, I will be browsing a ton of riparian journals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking good. But the substrate makes it looks like planting HC in marbles. Don't mean to sound harsh btw.

Maybe you can fabricate a mesh like pot inside the plastic planters themselves so you can use smaller substrate or put tabs underneath like osmocote.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've never done a riparium before, but I've seen these growing in them and they are quite colorful:
Hypoestes sp.:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Iresine herbstii:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The former you can get at just about any garden store. I have one of the later and I just bought it in the houseplant section. I haven't had much luck with it because it really prefers good sunlight and its soil moist all the time (perfect for riparium, bad for houseplant). One person who had it in their riparium said it tended to get leggy after a while . . .

Joy to the fishes!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Nice work!

I agree you could improve the looks (and plant growth) by capping that hydroton with a finer clay gravel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Looking good. But the substrate makes it looks like planting HC in marbles. Don't mean to sound harsh btw.

Maybe you can fabricate a mesh like pot inside the plastic planters themselves so you can use smaller substrate or put tabs underneath like osmocote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I agree you could improve the looks (and plant growth) by capping that hydroton with a finer clay gravel.
I agree about the looks. I have some Osmocote and laterite. It won't be hard to figure some sort of mesh to line the inside of the pots. Think pantyhose material would be too fine? Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate the suggestions Jadelin; they look nice. I guess I just need to do some research and figure out if there are any plants which can't be hydroponically grown easily. Then I can visit the local nurseries with confidence.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
I appreciate the suggestions Jadelin; they look nice. I guess I just need to do some research and figure out if there are any plants which can't be hydroponically grown easily. Then I can visit the local nurseries with confidence.
I've found it kind of amusing that the more I look at riparium threads, the more of my own houseplants I see growing in them. Probably about 3/4 of the plants I have I've seen in one set-up or another. Which tells me that unless it's one that's specifically adapted to dry climates, it should to fine. (Although some may have other problems like getting too large.) I've been tempted to start a riparium using nothing but cuttings and babies from my houseplants.

Joy to the fishes!

Last edited by Jadelin; 09-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've noticed the same thing. The first time I saw Hypoestes was at Great America. They were in a planter and I pointed them out to my girl and said "those are pretty cool". Only now do I notice them in a number of ripariums on this site.

I am probably just going to pick some out and try them. You were on the right track with red.

This is a nice post by hydrophyte:https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...binations.html

Last edited by Hyzer; 09-25-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode