Attaching large riparium planters - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By roadmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Attaching large riparium planters

Hi everyone. I'm putting together a 50gal riparium, sort of an 'internal' style, with the plants kept INSIDE the tank rather than growing out of it. I have a couple plastic containers I'd like to use as planters, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach them to the back of the tank. They seem too large for suction cups. Magnets are expensive, and as I've learned firsthand, coating them in silicone reduces their pull. Should I try using Great Stuff foam? Some kind of hanging cables? Building a support structure from the bottom up?

For reference I have two containers that are 11" long, 5 1/2" wide, 4 3/4" tall. I'm open to ideas here, please help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Why not silicone the containers to the back wall?

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Why not silicone the containers to the back wall?
From what I've read, silicone isn't really load-bearing... they would probably fall off.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
www.riparium supply might have raft's and or attachment apparatus, but it has been some time since I visited them so don't know if they're still out there.
Veritas and Veritas like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

They have planters w/ suction cups, but I could not find any rafters when I did a recent purchase. I think they've been discontinued.

I'm interested if anyone has a good DIY idea for larger planters...I know another poster, AquaAurora, used shower caddies, but I cannot say how much weight they hold.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually ordered these boxes from The Container Store. The grid pattern means I don't have to drill holes in them, I lined them with mesh instead.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/like-it-bricks-system/smoke-like-it-bricks/smoke-like-it-bricks-11-medium-bins/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
They have planters w/ suction cups, but I could not find any rafters when I did a recent purchase. I think they've been discontinued.

I'm interested if anyone has a good DIY idea for larger planters...I know another poster, AquaAurora, used shower caddies, but I cannot say how much weight they hold.
I never use the suction cups form those caddies as they inevitably will fail so I switch them out for encased wire (keep exposed metal tips out of the tank). I got this wire from home depot in the electrical section, forget price but I think under $5 for more wire than I could ever need, its very rigid and keeps its form once bent into place. You'll need wire cutters to cut these.

This may not be applicable thought if the riparium is set deep/low into the tank unless you are using plants that will grow in thick and tall over time to eventually hide the wires... or you put in internal background insert int eh tank that the wires can be hidden behind (I've used krylon fusion spray painted acrylic sheets, as well as black extruded poly carbonate sheets inside tanks for backgrounds/internal sumps before).
Waaaaay back the ripariumsupply website had planters with magnets but no longer sells those (most likely due to production cost-suction cups are cheaper and what they use now), you might contact them and ask what they used for magnets-don't know if it needed a coating for tank use to avoid water chemistry issues long term, or how much weight they held.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wanted the boxes to sit 7 to 8 inches below the top of the tank. I had planned to hang them with nylon picture-hanging cable and metal hooks coated with silicone, but the hooks weren't large enough to go over the lip of my acrylic tank. I could attempt to pry them open further, but I don't exactly have the tools (or strength!) to do that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone else have ideas? I'd like to try and make do with what I have, or what I can get easily. This project has gone on for a LONG time and I'm tired of revising it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Set up a base or a cave under the water and set the planter on top? Could have an island with an underwater cave theme going on, or even just a shelf set up. They do it with ponds, it could work in a tank
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
Set up a base or a cave under the water and set the planter on top? Could have an island with an underwater cave theme going on, or even just a shelf set up. They do it with ponds, it could work in a tank
I think I may have to do this... I've got leftover PVC pipes to use as risers, now the issue is how to conceal them?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
For my pond I used wire clothes hangers. These would be long enough to get them as low as you want
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygropunk View Post
I think I may have to do this... I've got leftover PVC pipes to use as risers, now the issue is how to conceal them?
Industrial theme! Paint and then seal them!

Or possibly have a false wall, make them a feature by lining them with stones, build a hill or mountain around them....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode