• 1 Post By kidrock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to light a tall paludarium

Hi all,
This is my set up, measurent are in cm.
Now I light it with 4PL light and two big led light. I'm not satisfied specially because of lack of penetretion in water.
At the moment I can't grow any acquatic light.
I would like to switch to full led.
I've seen a lot of option on aliexpress.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance

Inviato dal mio KINGZONE N3 PLUS utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

None?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto#77 View Post
None?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto#77 View Post
Hi all,
This is my set up, measurent are in cm.
Now I light it with 4PL light and two big led light. I'm not satisfied specially because of lack of penetretion in water.
At the moment I can't grow any acquatic light.
I would like to switch to full led.
I've seen a lot of option on aliexpress.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance

From what I can tell by your measurements (115cm total ?), about 45 inches to the bottom of your set-up? Light penetration can definitely become a challenge with tall set-ups.

I'm sure you have already done your homework in regards to the plants you are going to grow, along with their lighting requirements. Probably a good idea to give some better details about your existing 4PL lights and 2 big LEDs (eg., wattage, LED spread: 120 degrees, etc.). Depending on the amount of light you need for your land area/water area, you could go the DIY or 'plug N play' route. Regardless of DIY or 'plug & play', I'm fairly confident you will have to tweak things a bit ~ position/spacing/etc. ~ trial & error [I always try to keep that in mind with the 'build design' in case things do have to be re-positioned and moved around).

For 'plug N play', there are a variety of "quality" manufactured pendant style LED fixtures with different lens options that may serve your purpose, although they can have a very "expensive" initial cost (many to choose from, here are a few examples: https://www.ecoxotic.com/products/cannon-pro-led-160/, Kessil LED Lights, Freshwater ? EcoTech Marine|Radion, https://orphek.com/atlantik-p-planted-aquarium/, https://fluence.science/store/. Personally, these are a bit rich for "me"... I would would rather 'opt' to build a DIY grid that would incorporate an array of LEDs (with different beam angles and intensities) that would allow for maneuverability and re-positioning of individual lights. But hey, that's just me. Maybe you could incorporate more of the LED fixtures (like the type you are using now), possibly using different beam angles and/or lenses along with different wattages.

There are several DIY options, (a lot less expensive, especially in regards to LEDs) that allow one to customize a lighting system for their particular application. Some good ideas can be found on this site (TPT) under the "lighting" & "DIY" forums (example: a puck and rail system https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...ome-parts.html).

Last edited by wastewater; 05-29-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: .

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry! I'm not disappeared! I will read in a couple of hour!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For the moment I'll try like that. Not a lot of difference....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Algae Grower

Hi, any update on the lights? I am myself planning a 120cm x 60cm x 120cm Paludrium with 45-60cm of water area. A bit worried about lights for the bottom area plus room for the misting system.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is a time when I might look to some of the "spotlight" fixtures to hang above the tank as they put the light more directly down and they can be added to or changed better than a single fixture. Rather than a tube shape, more light a round spot shining down using several to get the spread wide enough?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

I have been using spots for my current tall viv, it get too messy with multiple wires etc around. Panels reduce the clutter. They make the sprinkler plumbing simpler too.
toto#77 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode