native insect diet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
native insect diet

So I guess that this is more fitting to post in the vivarium section than the live food thread. I have a lot of geckos. I have a lot of moths outside my house...does anyone see a problem in net catching some moths and feeding them off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I had treefrogs for a long time and uesed to do this. I put a piece of whats called machine cloth (bigger than screen, smaller than rabbit wire) over the top of the tank. Then I put a lamp on top of it. This was left outside all summer. just turn your "porch light" on at night and the feeding frenzy is on. I highly recommend it. Some of the fattest treefrogs ever. moths are good food but a PITA to go catch them every night, so I used the lazy way. lol. Its a great natural diet, and they'll get some variety. Atl east i'd assume this to be true for geckos as well.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

i was thinking that, i just turn on the net, one swoop of the net and i should have plenty of food. I used to do it for my african butterfly fish

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank VIP

wings are very digestable so you get a moth looking....yeah. But its gotta be better than crickets all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

yea i agree... The painfully ironic part is that i WORK in a retail pet store that sell crickets, i just always forget to bring some home with me to feed the little critters...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The problem with collecting insects yourself is the likelihood that they've been exposed to pesticides.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
But if they have been exposed to pesticides they are more than likely dead, or looking very bad.

I would think that most moths should be OK. One kind to watch out for would be any with bright, contrasting colors. Contrasting oranges, reds, whites and blacks often mean that the animal has strong chemical defenses, so it could make your geckos sick.

Fireflies and ladybugs have that kind of coloration, and they are real bad choices as herp food.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

yea, typically i only see white moths and they are quite active, so i'm not too worried.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
But if they have been exposed to pesticides they are more than likely dead, or looking very bad.
That's not necessarily true, as different insects are susceptible to different pesticides. Moths may have walked over or brushed up against various pesticides and therefore be carrying them on their bodies, but that particular pesticide may not not kill them, or at least, not for a while. Pesticides can be carcinogens and cause other issues in other animals beyond just the ones they're "targeted" to kill.

I personally won't feed insects to my fish from outside as our house is treated and I know our neighbors houses are treated as well.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I fed my frogs like that for 4-5 summers and we are surrounded by fields of corn and soybeans that are treated and I never had a problem. If it didnt kill a bug its vrey unlikely that it'll hurt your geckos. I was a little worried about them getting a spider or something like a wasp, but pesticides is pretty unlikely to play a key role. And even so the gamble seems worth it for the nutrition over crickets which are notoriously lacking this value. I felt bad making my frogs eat crickets all winter until the real bugs came back out. Just dont feed them any the few days after you treat your house for bugs.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

i dont treat my house or my yard for bugs
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
spiders are usually good to use as food. i use them when i find them in my house and feed them to my betta.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
There is some risk... you might not treat your place, but bugs are not limited to your house only. They might come from another place that has been treated, and sometimes the city will fly overhead and spray for mosquitos.

But it is still good I think, just think of the geckos being in the wild or something. I used to catch miller moths, throw them at the door or wall, then toss them outside and the finches would come and gobble the stunned moths up.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Biggest risk imo is introducing mites. I personally feed all of my reptiles and insects wild caught or self raised insects. Personally I find the compost pile the best hunting grounds; grubs for my lizards, termites and fruit flies for my fish and mantis.

Most pesticides are intentionally manufactured to not hurt non-targeted animals. The beef I eat grazes on grass sprayed with pesticide - I surely I hope I don't die...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Chlora13
Pesticides and herbicides are tricky buggers. Personally, before I collect I make sure that the area is pesticide free by talking to park rangers or city officials etc. My yard is pesticide free, so I generally am not worried unless I see a neighbor spraying. So far, no ill effects and my betta is happy to gobble up just about anything that will fit in her mouth!

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows. ~Doug Larson

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode