Geosesarma Sp. with frogs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Geosesarma Sp. with frogs?

Hello there.

Im planning on making a 37 gallon tropical land/water tank and I was looking at 2 different things I wanted to stock it with. Vampire crabs or some kind of small to mid sized tropical amphibian (dart frogs or bumblebee toads for example) and was wondering if they could be housed together.

They both require generally similar temperature and humidity requirements (I would go for the closest match for those requirements) and both eat easily farmed wingless fruit flies though the crabs are omnivorous so if there were to be competition different foods would be supplied.

Do any of you think this can be done? And if so, what would you recommend to go with the crabs? (as I have not decided on anything specific except the Geosesarma)

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
It's possible. Of course the frogs will likely predate any baby crabs, and the crabs may take a small frog...so it really comes down to priorities and what you're wanting to accomplish. You'd want the water section to be pretty minimal, not much more than a shallow puddle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you.
I do not intend to breed any of them so the baby eating problem is not one im worried about.
But what you said about the water is what caught my attention. Is a large amount of water dangerous for dart frogs? because the Geosesarma from what I've seen and heard need a decent amount of water, quarter of the tank at least (so they can molt and rest with minimal stress).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Yes, most dart frogs require only shallow ponds or film canisters or water cupped in plants for breeding, and they may drown in deep water features. Neither the crabs or dart frogs require a large water feature; high humidity, moist substrate, and regular misting will keep most of them happy even without a water feature. You'll need an adequate false bottom and probably a drilled drainage hole with bulkhead fitting to remove pooling water if you forego the water feature, and will want a fan or two to keep your plants' leaves from being too wet after misting in the closed setup.

I'd highly recommend reading up on build projects over on Dendroboard--if you use the search function and don't find the answers you need then ask them, it's a very responsive and experienced group and very committed to dart frog conservation and ethical husbandry.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't keep small frogs like darts together with crabs. The risk of damage to the frogs from the crabs is high and irresponsible husbandry in my opinion. I like your idea but think these are the wrong tank mates.

Tags
amphibians, coexist, frogs, tropical, vampire crabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode