I Need help with my Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Need help with my Paludarium

Hi,

I have paludarium that's running for 5 months.

Water is dripping on the background.
Now I have 4 plati fish, and fast growing plants.

But the plants doesn't grow so good and get rotten.

I have a strange white mucus on the plate and wood (picture) . What's is the problem?

Today I added air pump to the water. In a hope it will help.

The lightning is 39w t5 x 2 for 8 hours a day.

pH is around 7.

Volume is 90 liter(including sump)

I once in 2 week change 10 of the water and I don't fertilize.

What should be the pH? How many hours of light?

Thank you for helping ,
Yuval

Sent from my H60-L04 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi! I like your setup!

I'm by no means experienced with aquaria yet, so I can't help you with anything below the water level. However, I know there are some nice threads on other parts of the forum for light cycle and what have you. For the fungus there are a lot of threads like this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...ls-tubing.html As for pH, I know that platys are usually referenced as liking a pH between 7-8 or 6.5-8.5 depending on where I have read about them, so they would be okay at 7, I would think. The pH for your aquatic plants depend on your species list, from what little I know. But if your tank has survived this long, you're probably doing better than I will when I start my first planted tank!

Anyway, I've got a experience with terraria and potted houseplants, so I may be able to give you some things to consider with your Adiatum sp. maidenhair fern (the plant in the last pic):

Are you certain the growth is slow? Maidenhair usually take a while to grow. If you're sure:

What is the substrate pH for the maidenhair? Most maidenhairs prefer their substrate to be on the lower side(5.5-6.5 pH). Did you change it from the substrate it came in, or did you use what it grew in? From my experience, they can survive higher pH, and you may be better off keeping it in that substrate, since they don't like having their roots jostled, but it may be leading to slow growth.

Has it had fronds drying out and dying, that you have cut back? Any brown spots? Sometimes over-watering will cause them to get brown areas. Under-watering will lead to dried out fronds, though that is unlikely to be an issue if you have it constantly being hit with water. I've seen it stated that they like to have the top inch of their soil dry out on the GardenWeb forums. My experience is similar, but I keep mine in low-light.

Is it getting crunchy on the tips? It may be too close to the light. Most maidenhairs prefer medium light levels.

How humid is your setup? My maidenhairs thrive in the summer (70% humidity) and suffer in the winter (30% humidity). Usually ones in enclosed terrariums have no problems with -low- humidity, but since your paludarium is open, it -might- be an issue (I'd say it's unlikely, but I figured you know your setup better than I do ).

I've read one reference to the feasibility of maidenhairs being grown hydroponically. Here it is: https://books.google.com/books?id=Wz...oponic&f=false

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode