2Likes
  • 2 Post By wastewater
  • 2 Post By Teebo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Spanish Moss Anyone?

Has anyone tried Spanish Moss on emerging driftwood? If it touches the water does anyone know of toxicity levels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Has anyone tried Spanish Moss on emerging driftwood? If it touches the water does anyone know of toxicity levels?
Good question. Very little literature about the toxicity of Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish Moss) exists, and I have never seen it on any toxic plant lists. The plant is used a lot in Latin America as a contemporary herbal medicine. Research studies have shown T. useneoides has antiviral, anti-inflamatory, and analgesic properties. Oral extracts from the plant produce a compound (3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaric Acid) that has shown to reduce blood glucose in laboratory study animals. Some people make a tea out of this plant for what 'ails em' (whether or not it does any good or not...). Several Native American tribes have used 'Spanish Moss' for livestock feed. One thing for sure ~ people and animals don't die from ingesting it.

From personal experience... I've used Spanish Moss hanging from emerging driftwood for many years (in aquariums housing shrimp, snails, and/or sensitive fish). Occasionally I would get lazy with trimming long strands touching the water... never encountered problems by 'Spanish Moss' touching the water with aquarium fauna/flora. T. usneoides does have a tendency to wick water - I don't like to keep Tillandsia constantly wet, so that is why I would trim strands growing down into the water.

I continue to grow several clumps indoors (no longer have driftwood extending out of my tanks and/or growing 'Spanish Moss' over my aquariums). They do very well under artificial lighting. I also grow several clumps outdoors in full sun that do well (even with staying constantly wet for several weeks during our "jungle-like" rainy season). An easy Tillandsia to work with.

Late addition: Although not hanging over an aquarium, this is a pretty good picture of T. usneoides touching water in a natural environment. If touching water while hanging over an aquarium, there is always the possibility of "rot" due to being constantly wet.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Last edited by wastewater; 10-21-2016 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Late addition
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for your input! I am going to try it than

I need something to grow on my emerged driftwood, moss, airplants, something. Something without large foliage blocking access to the tank and light.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
old thread, sorry - but just saw this.

My worry with spanish moss would be the bugs. It grows all over charleston - but it's known around here that you can get tiny little biting bugs if you pick it up.

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

same for when I lived in NC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I bought mine from a "clean seller" they already cleaned the moss, unless they are microscopic. Either way I tried this and failed, the air is too dry in the north even directly above an open top aquarium. The moss dries out too quickly, was worth a shot!
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode